Thursday 13 December 2012

Hats Off Gentlemen It's Adequate Q&A

Name of band: 
Hats Off Gentlemen It's Adequate

Who is in your band?
Me (Malcolm) on vocals/guitar/keyboard and sometime bass, and producing/programming
Either on my own, or preferably with one or more of my band colleagues -
Kathryn Thomas - flute
Mark Gatland - bass
Ibon Bilbao - guitar
Rudy Roo - drums

How would you describe yourselves?  
It's hard to describe yourself objectively, so we asked our supporters who they thought we sounded like. The most frequent responses have been Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Marillion, and Jimi Hendrix.
I'd say our range of sounds include - classic rock, blues, prog rock, funky rock, acoustic rock, metal, acoustic, folk, minimalist, and electronica.

Who are your main influences musically? 
David Gilmour/Pink Floyd, Marillion, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, All About Eve, Steve Reich, and blues

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
I'd like to play gigs and have someone there to hear it, I'd like them to enjoy it, and I'd like to keep releasing recordings.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
We put on Save The Children fundraisers regularly at the Fiddler's Elbow. These have been some of the most enjoyable musical experienes I've ever had. 
Kathryn's highlight in her career has been as a classical flautist playing a solo at the BBC Proms. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
I can't think of anything particularly awful yet. I once fell off the back of a stage in an orchestra while playing the tuba, but fortunately a nearby wall broke my fall...

If you could choose one of your songs as an advert for your music, what would it be and why? 
While I Still Can is one of our most fun songs - quite a lot of my stuff is pretty depressing, and not so suitable for the live gigs, but this one is good fun. This is one of our live gig favourites. We've just been awarded runner up in the London 48 Hour Music Video competition for the new video of it.

Where can we listen to it? 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZM3SQ_FdiI
also we've got lots of our music streaming at www.reverbnation.com/itsadequate


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
Our debut album should be up on iTunes.  It's called 'Invisible', a reference to invisible disability, ie a medical condition which causes problems but which the sufferer looks normal from the outside. It's inspired by my experience of hypermobility-type Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I think it sounds more fun than it sounds like it should sound though.
My six-year-old son co-wrote one of the tracks (Just So Love You). He came up with the lyrics and melody. This is a clip of him improvising it for the first time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3pm5I2GUjw

No comments:

Post a Comment