Monday 20 May 2013

Darcy Q&A

Your name:
Darcy.

Where are you from?
England. And France. And I was born in Scotland. And I live in Germany. And I grew up in six different countries. So a bit from everywhere really. Though currently I'm based in Munich, Germany.

How would you describe yourself?
Well I'm a singer-songwriter, and a lot more. I've recorded every single instrument on every one of my tracks myself so far. And I've produced them all myself. So I'd descibe myself as a bit of a Jack Of All Trades, to be honest.
I'd describe my music though as a complicated mix, between acoustic folk, guitar heavy rock and anthemic indie rock. I love effects such as reverb and echo, which characterise my current sound quite a lot. But I'm still young, and I can't say that I've found one “sound” that will be my music forever.

Who are your main influences musically?
I'm heavily influenced by Jack White's screeching guitar solos, British Sea Power's echo-filled and catchy anthems, The Kills' mechanic drum rhythms, and Bruce Springsteen's storytelling. Arcade Fire's huge sound, Morrissey's melancholic musings and Bowie's chameleonic antics are also very important to me.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I don't know. I think it would just be great to be able to look back when I'm 60, no matter what level of recognition I have achieved, and just be proud of the music I have made.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Tough question. When I was a lot younger I sang with a Cathedral Choir, first at the World Cup and then at a Pope's mass. I also performed in a musical at the Royal Albert Hall for the Proms once. My career as a singer-songwriter has yet to scale such heights however. I'd say my first gig was a highlight. 
People coming and dancing and singing along to my music. It was a very weird feeling. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Nothing really.

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Cape Of No Hope. It has an interesting story in the lyrics, of a guy who's homesick for England, and who tries to be an atheist. The sound is also something I worked on a lot, getting that crescendo in the last chorus just right. I think it gives people a real shock when all those instruments kick in.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?
Official Website: http://darcy.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment