Friday 24 May 2013

Shaneil Devaser Q&A


Your name? 
Shaneil Devaser. 

Where are you from? 
I'm currently based in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia. I was born in Kuala Lumpur but moved to the UK shortly after for a couple of years. I returned to home in 1994 and we moved to Kota Kinabalu where I spent my schooling years. I moved back to Peninsular Malaysia in 2006 to attend Monash University and have been based in Petaling Jaya ever since. 

Name of band: 
I used to play in a band called Crossing Boundaries, but we're currently on hiatus. I currently play for The Endleaves, a local super band of sorts, besides drumming for The Pilot Enterprise. This Q&A session however will focus on my solo career. :) 

Who else is in your band? 
Well, I play solo mostly, but I do have my go-to musicians when I play full-band gigs. The current line-up is borrowed from The Endleaves, which includes Riz on lead guitar, Krist on bass and Rashaad on drums. 

How would you describe yourself? 
I am an amalgamation of my influences, namely Silverchair, Nirvana, The Beatles, Oasis and the Foo Fighters. I'd say most of the tunes I write have a grungy feel, with a touch of art rock, a core of rock 'n' roll and harmonies that come from the soul. Heh. 

Who are your main influences musically?
Daniel of Silverchair would probably be the biggest influence on the tunes I write. I've always liked his way with words and arrangements. John and Paul of The Beatles would probably be the second biggest influence as their harmonies are just magical. Dave of the Foo Fighters would be a close third, cause he's just cool. ;) 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
World domination. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Hmm. That's a tough one. I'd say it was when we played the stadium gigs to thousands. But studio time is equally as exciting. I'd say the best moments are just after a hard day's night recording and the tunes sound raw, unmixed, and awesome. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
None.

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I'd choose Full, the second single of my EP, to represent the style of music I play. If I had to choose a song to represent me, I'd choose Past Song, the third single of my EP, because it's just me, myself and I. 

Where can we listen to it? 
You can check out the solo stuff on www.shaneildevaser.com The Endleaves stuff on www.theendleaves.com The Pilot Enterprise stuff on www.thepilotenterprise.com and the Crossing Boundaries stuff on www.crossingboundariestheband.com 


Where can we find out more about your music? 

Shaneil Devaser

The Endleaves

The Pilot Enterprise

Crossing Boundaries

No comments:

Post a Comment