Wednesday 18 September 2013

Doreen Taylor Q&A

Picture by Bobby Quillard
Your name:
Doreen Taylor.

Where are you from?
Los Angeles, California, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (United States).

How would you describe yourself?
Southern rock singer/songwriter with a very eclectic sound with influences of country, rock, pop, blues and even funk. I really have a very hard edged country-rock sound.

Who are your main influences musically?
Bon Jovi, Journey, Martina McBride, Heart, Bonnie Raitt, Gretchen Wilson, ZZ Top, Lynard Skynard, Genesis, Tool, Alice in Chains (yes, my musical influences are about as eclectic as my own original sound).

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I’m already living the dream! I never would have imagined that my solo debut album “Magic” would have been as wildly popular as it has been. Right now I am presently on my 2013 United States “Magic” Tour and we have already sold out our first two shows in Philadelphia, PA and we are now gearing up for Buffalo, NY on October 20th and New York City on November 19th.  Stops in Los Angeles and Philadelphia are on the schedule for the rest of the year as well. We are currently in talks for our international 2014 arena tour where we will be hitting Canada as well as coming overseas to Europe and Asia. My goal has always been to express myself through my craft and create honest, real music that people can relate to (and perhaps even make a difference in their lives). That is the dream and I really am so blessed that I am doing it!

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
There have been so many so it is really very hard for me to pick just one. I guess the top few moments that immediately jump into my mind is when I was awarded the 2012 “Suggested Artist of the Year” award from the ‘Song of the Year’ International Songwriting Competition for my album “Magic”. It was also pretty great when my Youtube channel hit over 1,000,000 views for my music videos, including my music video for “Judgment Day” which went viral and hit over 400,000 views alone. Maybe it was also being chosen as the Honorary Chairperson for the Big Brothers Big Sisters 50th Anniversary Gala in the United States on November 15, 2013. That was such an honor and really is what my life is all about- being able to use my name, my voice and my music to help others in need.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
There are probably just as many of those as there are highlights so that is a hard one to answer too, but I would say it was my original demo “Unbreakable” that was released several years prior to my “Magic” album. I was still learning my unique voice in the industry and I really put out something that wasn’t really “me” at all. It was a mishmash of pop meets country meets adult contemporary and the whole thing was just very confusing. I listened to OTHER people when picking songs and producing the 4 cut demo whereas my new album “Magic was my own voice and my own songwriting. It really is me and that finally shines through to the audience. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
One of my favorite songs from my album “Magic” is “Judgment Day”- it is not only an edgy southern rock song (which I really love), but it also is one of the best representation of my songwriting and lyrics. I worked closely with Joe Mass on the album and he has played for countless musical greats like Bon Jovi, John Mayer, etc. His guitar playing and instrumentation on that song is impeccable.

Where can we listen to it?
You can see the EPIC music video that was shot in Los Angeles by famed music video director, Nayip Ramos on my Youtube channel. Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQsAV93ENyM
Or purchase/download at iTunes:



Where can we find out more about your music?


1 comment:

  1. Wow! That video is amazing. This is the first time I have heard of Doreen Taylor, but I am going to be a fan now!! She is really amazing- brilliant voice!

    ReplyDelete