Sunday 24 November 2013

Kiirstin Marilyn Q&A

Your name: 
Kiirstin Marilyn.

Where are you from? 
New York City by way of the Jersey Shore.

Who else is in your band?
I'm a solo artist but I do currently have two amazing band members that play with me at shows, bassist and synth player John Shilkoski, and drummer Matt Reardon.

How would you describe yourselves? 
I am a rocker chick that somehow got stuck in this pop game, trying to find a happy marriage between the rock that I love and the pop that I seem to be predestined towards.  I'm a performer first, and I think that's apparent in my shows. I love to give a performance everything I have and leave it all on the stage. 

Who are your main influences musically? 
Musically I am influenced by everyone I've ever heard, but some lasting major influences have been Incubus, Lana Del Rey, Coheed & Cambria, Glassjaw, Fall Out Boy, Gwen Stefani & No Doubt, Justin Timberlake, The Beatles, Elvis. I mean honesty the list goes on and on. I try to even listen to new stuff when I'm creating new stuff. 

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
I'm not out for fame or mansions. Like Lorde says, "we'll never be royals" ;) I just hope to achieve a level of success in music that allows me to finally quit all those freelance jobs I do for money and pursue music full time. I want to travel the world performing and creating music, meeting new people that have the same love for music and creation that I do, and not have to worry that my bills aren't being paid while I do it. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?   
I actually got to work on my last EP with Todd Weinstock, a former member of one of my major influences, Glassjaw, which was kind of amazing. Todd is also in a band called Get Involved who just recently recorded a four-song EP with the legendary Ross Robinson who also happens to be the producer of Glassjaw's Worship & Tribute. I got to fly out to LA and spend a couple days at Ross's house while they recorded. I got to be a fly on the wall during vocal recording sessions which were incredible, and then I got to actually go into the booth and record backing vocals - the feeling of being behind the mic with Ross Robinson on the other end is indescribable. Definitely a highlight in my career.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?  
I don't know that I want to forget any moments because I learn from the bad ones. But I guess one of the worst moments in music for me was in my first band.  We were playing a pretty big competition at Starland Ballroom in New Jersey, and my bassist was clearly high or drunk or something. He was having all these technical issues that had he been sober he probably could have figured out. He wound up walking off stage in the middle of a song.  It was quite embarrassing. Needless to say we did not win. Other moments that I'd truly like to forget are better left unmentioned for the sake of myself and all parties involved. Ha. Let's just say my relationship with my first drummer was more than that of a business nature and THAT was really stupid - but I learned from it and would never even get in a relationship with another musician ever again in my life ;)

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
I would probably pick my newest song The Struggle, because as artist we are ever evolving and I think our latest creations are always the best representation of who we currently are. However, I also love my song Grim. Before The Struggle I would have said that song. Everything from the music to the lyrics is exactly how I wanted it on that song, which is not something I can say for all my songs.

Where can we listen to it?



Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?  
Hmmmm...I don't think so, not about me anyway. I just want to say, which I believe RealSoundsOK promotes well,  is to be yourself, find your own voice, and find your own music. Don't listen to what mainstream media tells you is good. Discover what you like and support that music to the fullest. Without support of fans, original musicians cannot survive and continue. Don't get caught up in the games played by shows like Idol and X factor. They are glorified karaoke shows with big money behind them. They are about making more money for the creators & producers of the show, and not really about making someone's dreams come true; that's just the front that they put on while they rake the money in. Go to shows and support your local music scene.  Don't let corporations dictate what music is. We know what music is, and we should fight to protect it.

1 comment:

  1. I have a direct itunes link! http://itunes.KiirstinMarilyn.com :D

    ReplyDelete