Thursday 9 January 2014

M3t4rt Q&A

Your name:
M3t4rt (alter ego).

Where are you from?
Originally from Germany but currently residing in Newcastle, UK.

Name of band:
M3t4rt

Who else is in your band?
Currently just me.

How would you describe yourself?
Music. Politics. Art. All combined in an experimental manner. Don't expect, just experience.

Who are your main influences musically?
There are tons of influences. I have my main ones like System of a Down or Dream Theater but there are also other, strong influences from record to record, song to song. My latest record was heavily influenced by Igorrr, Niveau Zero, Ólafur Arnalds, James Joys & Mozart. Yeah, Mozart is very important on so many levels.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
This is a difficult question. As a musician, my main goal is to make music that plays with expectation, challenges, pleases (I think that's the good & evil of having such a wide taste in music). Playing some major electronic festivals would be great. But I also want to reach out politically and use music as a tool to speak to people. If people would use my music to actually think about issues that are going right now (political, economical etc) then I'd be very happy.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I had a great one off gig as part of a free improvisation trio in Newcastle University earlier this year, I have been #1 on Squarepig electronic charts and so on. But the best highlight so far is the people I met in the process of making music.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
None really.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I would choose #Amenity. This resembles a lot I stand for musically but also conceptually. It plays with expectations, has a good enough chorus etc but it also combines samples, real playing & electro acoustic sounds to one big pile of music.

Where can we listen to it?
There is no video yet (but in planning phase) but you can download my whole EP for free here:



Where can we find out more about your music?
My tumblr (although this is inactive at the moment): http://m3t4rt.tumblr.com/

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
There is a lot happening in 2014. At least 1 EP at the beginning of the year, perhaps one in March/April and a full blown album in the middle (around May/June time).
Also, even if I don't get share my true identity, you can send me an email to m3t4rt@gmail.com. I usually reply and look forward to a chat (if I'm not too busy).

No comments:

Post a Comment