Monday 10 February 2014

The Calm Q&A

Your name:
The Calm.

Where are you from?
Oxford, England.

Who else is in your band?
Solo artist, but have a live band for concerts, currently Edmond Yu (Keys), Tom Watt (Guitar/Trumpet) & Rafe Garrett (Drums).

How would you describe yourself?
The music of The Calm is meant to represent.

Who are your main influences musically?
Vocally - The Weeknd. In terms of song structures, a lot of classical composers - wrote a song with the same sequence as the Pachelbel Cannon (that's a baroque piece for those of you who don't know). I draw a lot on classical form and features of the period, so don't expect my music just to contain the same boring/shit I-vi-IV-V progressions which are used in every other pop song - I incorporate interesting chord sequences (like the Phrygian cadence : IVb-V in a minor key) and stuff like suspensions in songs I write. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Hahahaha what a question - too much to be honest. My main aim would obviously to have my music world-renowned (doesn't every indie artist want that? ;)) - but my long term goal is to change the face of modern music. I want people to understand that the music industry is so fucking flawed at the minute that it's unreal - nearly everyone sounds the same, no major artists write any of their songs - there is no originality. I can't help but think that artists of the 90s/80s/70s earlier are ashamed of an industry they helped shape has become. When you play a Beatles song you know it's the Beatles, when you play an Oasis track you know it's Oasis, when you spin a Queen hit you know it's Queen - EVERY band/singer had their own sound - can you say that about the majority of artists these days? There are very few...

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The live gigs we've done locally at the O2 academy in Oxford to never more than a couple of hundred people, usually all people we know. These performances have been electric and will never be forgotten!

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Probably one time where I (almost) got booed off stage for a flawless performance of a track at my mate's gig - fucking depressing man!

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Umm well most of them haven't been recorded yet! But I've released a single called Shattered Love which is doing OK. Personally though, I'd say if there's one song which represents me best lyrically wise it is a song called I Will Never Leave. It is a very simple track with just piano and vocals (plus a bit of cello) with my voice, but this song is all about the lyrics - they're really deep, and they don't mean what they think you do. This song ain't about a girl!

Where can we listen to it?


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
Enough already mate! ;) - oh yeh actually check out my music video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kbZzwRVsAI

No comments:

Post a Comment