Tuesday 25 March 2014

Ostt Q&A

Your name:
Bret.

Where are you from?
California, USA.

Name of band:
Ostt.

How would you describe yourself?
I am an 18-year-old producer who makes drone/ambient/techno/experimental/electronic/ whateveryouwanttocallit music in his bedroom.

Who are your main influences musically?
Oneohtrix Point Never, Tim Hecker,Burial, and Ryoji Ikeda are the ones I look to the most, but I still get influences from other more surprising groups/people: Einstürzende Neubauten, Joy Division, The Smiths, Neu!, John Maus, Stockhausen,Glenn Gould, Sigúr Ros, and even various Noise artists.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
To be as forward-looking as I can and never hold any particular genre as sacred in my music.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
My career has been quite short. I have only been producing since July of 2013. I only just started actively promoting my music online since January 2014, so there aren't a lot of experiences I can grab; but I would have to say it is just all the good comments, likes, retweets, etc. I've received over this period of time.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I haven't had any embarrassing or horrible moments so far. If I had to choose, though, it would probably be spending endless hours on songs and then just hating them and never releasing them. But I think experiences like that are good. Failed sessions in the studio give you more experience and practice. It ends up being positive in the end.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
It would probably be "Lost Again". It is my most recent song. I think this one really represents my music because it has a lot more chaotic noise influences than my other songs (more specifically the breakdown in the middle), while still retaining a bit of "normalcy".

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?
I use twitter the most: https://twitter.com/OsttMusic
This is where all my music is: https://soundcloud.com/eastislet

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
I have a lot more stuff in the works. I am planning on making an EP. There isn’t a for sure date for that, however. Just keep your eyes out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment