Wednesday 9 April 2014

Brian Kozaczek Q&A

Your name:
Brian Kozaczek.

Where are you from?

Westfield, Massachusetts, USA.


How would you describe yourself?
I would describe myself as a composer that searches to reveal musical forms while weaving and building dynamic musical movement. 
I use aesthetic materials such as intervals to create diversified unity. 
I like blurring and playing with texture, usually paired with rhythmic modulation, the multiplicity of events express many turns of the story but I feel texture (homophony, polyphony, hetrophony) is the defining element of the drammatic structure guiding it to one specific fate. I feel my best stories should have you cheering for a main character in the light of its sonic culture. 

Who are your main influences musically?
My influences; the usual suspects of earlier 20 century classical composers; Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Schoenberg etc.
And likewise throughout the various preceding musical epochs. I like gamelan music and much music of eastern tradition. I like electronic music, from minimal synth arppegiator, to musique concrete and aeliatoric format.  I like death metal, dubstep, I'm a fan of any pop songs that reveal a effective form and effect. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I hope I can leave a body of work that will serve as an autobiography of my life in the times struggles and joys of life. I hope that this particular langauge and culture of my invention serves a higher purpose in the lives and musical life and culture in the general domain of all humanity. 
I also hope that didactic inventiveness of my music looks to bend the ever increasing mastery and evolution that humans engage with musical instruments for. Getting all levels of people engaged in music making in a dialect that they recognize is inherent in their own time and social life and culture. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I don't really have a career as of yet. I'm studying and building my portfolio in undergrad/grad composition track. 
Having several pieces rehearsed and performed is about all I ask for. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
It was disappointing hearing a professor, not comp but theory, say that it sounds as if they're rehearsing your piece with the music upside down. 
I could see what he was saying, but he's just too conservative to not be facetious. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
My most representative work as of yet would be 'Ancestral Dance' for solo piano.
This piece explores gestures idiomatic to different styles and meld together in a fantastic and frenetic story. A stoic nature is ultimately revealed and worked up to. 
It has an expanding cyclical form along with vigorous and even gentle turns of phrase that lead event to developmental sections. 
It has a couple anthem like textures that reveal the character being tested in the work. These worked out of the material and most of the piece was written backwards in a leading up to way. 

Where can we listen to it? 




Where can we find out more about your music? 
Besides soundcloud I'm posting videos on you tube 

No comments:

Post a Comment