Saturday 26 April 2014

einsteininapatentoffice Q&A

Your name:
Jackson.

Location:
The internet.

Band name:
einsteininapatentoffice.

How would you describe yourself:
Cerebral irrationality.

Who are your main influences musically?
Flying Lotus, Impressionism, Bonobo, Jai Paul, Kurt Rosenwinkel, surrealism, rock music. I have multiple projects though so the influences change depending on which project I'm working with (I have a deep respect for psychedelia for example). I'm also a trained jazz guitarist (you can hear my playing on the track "Nadir"), so that influences the harmonies I tend to choose when producing.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Create art that interests me. It used to be monetary gain, but I've since quit a few projects that involved money for personal reasons. There is a lot of extremely well made, yet extremely boring and generic music out there, which is fine, but not what interests me any more.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I would like to focus on the future rather than the past.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
See above.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
My style of production typically changes drastically because I'm constantly learning music production and artistic perspective, so what I released last year often sounds completely dissimilar to what I will release this year. For example, I used to be overly concerned with arrangement (as a lot of musicians are and probably should be) but lately I've been moving towards an "improvised production" style, whereby I'm grabbing sounds by intuition rather than as the arrangement calls for them, which is often jarring to the listener as well as other musicians I work with. When monetary compensation is the goal of a project, you typically can't get away with doing things like that. I'm lucky enough to not be concerned with it anymore and can focus on pushing envelopes. I digress, "Nadir" is maybe the prettiest piece of music released under this pseudonym, but probably not the best representative of the project as a whole.

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?

No comments:

Post a Comment