Friday 2 May 2014

Max Dunbavin Q&A

Your name:
Max Dunbavin.

Where are you from?
Birmingham, UK, although most of my family are from Dublin and I prefer to identify as Irish when possible.

Name of band: 
I'm in a band called One + One = Three [ https://www.facebook.com/1plus1equals3band ].

Who else is in your band? 
My band consists of myself on vocals, rhythm guitar and keys, Jonathan Horton on lead guitar, Daniel White on Bass & Backing Vocals, and Cian Loane on Drums.

How would I describe myself?
I like to consider myself someone who's not afraid to push boundaries, and hell even someone who is a bit rebellious. However, I don't know whether that translates into my music. 

Who are your main influences musically?
Ah I have a host of influences, and I always love talking about them, here goes. I'd say my main influences, narrowed down of course, are, firstly Radiohead. They're my favourite band, and one that changed my life through their music, and I love everything they stand for. I love Jonny's diminished solos, Thom's general craziness, Ed's atmospheric guitar playing, Phil's simple- yet ingenious drumming and Colin's grooves, and of course, how it all fits together. I just love Radiohead.
Another major influence I always cite is Lou Reed/ The Velvet  Underground. I cried the day Lou Reed died, and I know how silly that sounds. I feel 3 of the 4 velvet underground albums [The Velvet Underground & Nico, Loaded and White Light White Heat] and of course, Lou Reed's solo debut, Transformer are all seminal in not only who I am musically, but me as a person too. I think it is namely Lou Reed's unfiltered badass-dedness and the aura of rebellion that surrounds his name, and also how he and the Velvet Underground made music that was so ahead of its time, and was only discovered by the mass majority of people after the band split. For that Lou Reed should be hailed as the hipster god, although I'm glad he's not.
My third major influence I feel it's my responsibility to credit are Nirvana. In my opinion, Nirvana may be the best band that ever was, albeit not my favourite, and they remind me of every piece of music that it is organic, and not manufactured, even if it is a stark contrast stylistically to Nirvana, for example, Gymnopedie no.1 by Erik Satie [Which by the way is one of my favourite ever pieces of music]. 
My other influences include- Interpol, U2, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queens of the Stone Age, Bob Marley,  Four Tet, Erik Satie, Portishead, The xx, The Clash, and a little band from Vancouver called Redrick Sultan.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
This is a funny question for me. Of course what I'd hope to achieve would to be as big as any one of my musical heroes, but I think if you expect anything from music, you expect too much, which is why I write music for aesthetic pleasure, then if other people enjoy it, I see it as a bonus. Music for me is the biggest part of my life, not including social aspects, and all I ever want from it is personal enjoyment, so as long as I'm happy, whether that's within my own home, a pub gig, or a Glastonbury headline set, it doesn't matter to me.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I'm not sure I could pick out a highlight of my career, mainly as it hasn't been very long and I'm rather inexperienced. As I say, I write music for aesthetic pleasure, so when someone else tells me they enjoy it I always like that, but all in all the absolute highlight would maybe one of my better gigs, the recording of the demo of 'Sorceress [Of Somnia]' or 'Waiting for the Wind', or perhaps this Q&A.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I think quickly after starting gigging, I disappeared up my own arse a bit. I regret that, I became something that I hate - arrogant, and at that arrogance with little to show for it, and I'd never do it again.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Sorceress [Of Somnia] if I really had to. It's because of how the song changes constantly and dramatically, I have good memories about writing it, and the lyrics paint a picture to me which is very personal about things and experiences I haven't enjoyed, such as how I have been victim of bullying earlier in my life and my ultimate pet hate- lying, and the music with lyrics combined felt like a big middle finger to all of that.

Where can we listen to it?
namely these links-

No comments:

Post a Comment