Monday 9 June 2014

Lint Q&A

Your name:
Joel Vigilante (This is not a fake myspace name).

Where are you from?
Toronto, Canada.

Name of band: 
Lint.

Who else is in your band?
Emmalee Lovelace (No, there is no relation to Linda)
Nerv Persaud
Graeham Barker
Keegan Okazaki

How would you describe yourselves?
We're friends that met in college, and this band is a good way for us all to stay in touch, keep close, and help each other grow into this dastardly thing called "adulthood". We all have fairly different music tastes, but indie and punk music is our common ground. It's tough trying balance music that's meaningful yet pretentious free, but we have a go at it. On a side note, our drink of choice is a rum and coke. 

Who are your main influences musically?
Pavement, Pixies, The Smiths, American Football, Johnny Foreigner, and every other indie and/or punk band rollin' around. It's tough to say, because there is such a vast variety under the blanket of "Indie" and we all like such a variety of music under that blanket. We also try to takes notes from other genres, too! For example, we definitely look up to bands like Periphery for their DIY recording mentality. Plus, they're shredders, and one day when I grow up maybe I can be too. (Probably not.)

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I think that we just want to make music that means something to us, and hopefully someone else might be able to relate to something and feel tingly about it. I just want to be able to make someone feel the way that I feel when I listen to one of my favourite bands or songs. I guess that's sort of cliche, but life is cliche, isn't it. Sure. On a side note, it would be cool if I could pay rent through music. Pipe dreams.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
No highlight in particular. I think  the coolest thing has just been getting to play with bands that we think are cool. It's especially awesome being able to make friends with people through a music community. I never thought I would meet and befriend so many new people through being in a band, especially being such an introverted person. I guess, that's the highlight. It's helping us grow out of our bedroom dwelling and learn social skills.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
We played a local venue, a really nice one, and definitely got way too drunk. We sucked live, we mumbled lyrics, played out of key, and reached ultimate levels of belligerence. Luckily, we already forgot a good chunk of it, but it was  a filmed event, so it'll inevitably come back to haunt us. I remember Nerv saying the next day, "I think I just played one note for an entire song." Needless to say, we have enforced a 3 drink maximum prior to performance to ensure that never happens again. We learn things. The hard way.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
That's a toughie, because we don't have a solid recording of the one I have in mind. So, I'll have to pick a tune called "Hopeless Hopes for Hopeless Hearts". It's a fairly ambiguous tune about being miserable in general and feeling like nothing is going to be able to change that feeling.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask?
You never asked us about that EP we have coming out, that you totally knew about! We're in the process of recording a five-song EP to be completed some time this summer. After that, we're going to play an immense amount of shows, so keep an eye out for us! Let your other eye sleep, though. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment