Wednesday 1 October 2014

Pauline Andrès Q&A

Your name: 
Pauline Andrès.

Where are you from? 
France. Technically.

Who else is in your band?
Musicians have been coming and going. But the new record wouldn't have been possible without Jack Davis, who played on & produced it. I was also very blessed to still have our drummer Fran around for most of the recording - he left the country since then - an absolute sweetheart, great friend and musician.

How would you describe yourself? 
I'm a songwriter. I litterally just hold the pen as the words come in. Most of it is storytelling, some of it is true. The line is sometimes thin and blurry.

Who are your main influences musically? 
If I made a list I would regret it, someone would always be missing. But it's as varied as it gets ranging from Merle Haggard to PJ Harvey, Eels, Bruce Springsteen, Hank Williams, Jacques Brel, Oxmo Puccino or traditional Hungarian music. And Lucinda Williams. I have the greatest respect for her work.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
Continue making it. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
Releasing the debut album, out October 14th. I thought I'd die or end up in jail while we were making it. Everything around me during this period was just chaotic. Many times I thought we'd never see the end of it. But now that it's done, I'm proud of it.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
Nothing. As corny as it sounds... bad moments usually make good songs. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
That's tough. To be honest, it would be one I haven't released yet - album two is being prepared. But as close as it gets would be All Them Ghosts, the title track of my upcoming record. The sound is rich and translates a lot of my influences (the banjo for folk/country, the accordion for my European roots). It's dark as hell but there is hope... and it's a story. A true story.

Where can we listen to it? 
Available from the 14th of October. In the meantime:
https://soundcloud.com/paulineandres/patsy-cline



Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask? 
Thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment