Monday 1 June 2015

Isabel and the Uncommons Q&A

Your name: 
Isabel Fryszberg.

Where are you from? 
Toronto.

Name of band: 
Isabel and the Uncommons.

Who else is in your band?
Isabel and The Uncommons are a rock solid gang of amazing players featuring Toronto’s finest musicians: 
producer and drummer Don Kerr (Ron Sexsmith, Rheostatics), guitarist Steve Briggs (Russell DeCarle, Quartette, Slyvia Tyson, Michael Brennan), and bassist Dennis Pendrith 
(Stuart Mclean’s Vinyl Cafe, Bruce Cockburn, Mose Scarlett),  Rosalyn Dennett (The Living Daylight Stringband, Oh My Darling) joins in on fiddle, banjo and harmonies.

How would you describe yourselves? 
I am a honest storyteller with a spicy mix of vulnerability, humour and courage. My songs are autobiographical, roots based, country, rock and blues inspired. 

Who are your main influences musically? 
Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Harry Nilsson, Dolly Parton, Imelda May, Mary Gauthier, Patti Smith, appalachian southern fiddle music, Carter family, Emmylou Harris, Bessie Smith, Sippie Wallace, Bonnie Rait, Mavis Staples, The Band, The Beatles, The Everly Brothers, Lorretta Lynn.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
Constant growth, true expression, honest engagement of myself and my audience. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
My recent album is a highlight. These are songs some old some new that I’ve wanted to put together for a long time and I just wanted to put it all together. It’s my first solo debut album. I enjoyed the recording process with the amazing players that I’ve been fortunate to work with, the positive response from audiences and reviewers. This is silly but a text from a friend saying she heard my song on CBC earlier in the day, that made me smile inside.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
Sending my CD to my ex who inspired some of the songs and thinking something transformational would happen to him.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
That’s tough since my music is very diverse even though it is love inspired. 

Where can we listen to your music?

Where can we find out more about your music?

No comments:

Post a Comment