Thursday 10 September 2015

Jarell Q&A

Your name:
My name is Jarell.

Where are you from?
I am Nigerian born and raised but currently based and performing in London, England.

Who else is in your band?
I usually gig with just my guitar and effect pedal, however I do sometimes collaborate with other musicians depending on the gig or the setting.

How would you describe yourself and your music?
I don't want to sound like the cliche songwriter but I cannot really place my music into any genre, I'll say it's a mixture of all my musical influences growing up. I call it Acoustic/Soul with some African influence.

Who are your main influences musically?
I've had so many musical influences throughout my life, you could say I get influenced by every music I listen to but a few stand out like; Jason Mraz, Bob Marley, Lucky Dube, John Mayer, Nora Jones, Alison Krauss, Asa, Michael Jackson, Nneka, Bryan Adams...... the list goes on.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
If you had asked me what I hope to achieve in music a year ago I would have said "to win a Grammy" but after a year of hectic gigging, recording, writing and producing I would currently say my main music goal right now is just to be heard and be appreciated. I have come to learn that people are more comfortable with what they are already familiar with, so it becomes difficult for up and coming artists to really break through into a new fanbase.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
So far the highlight of my career is me being able to finish my self-produced E.P, Nights With Farida. One of my life goals was to write and produce an album in a professional studio. This year I had the opportunity to achieve that and although it wasn't a full album, I was able to write and produce an E.P as part of my major project for my MA in Audio Production at the University of Westminster.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Although there have been some down sides in my music journey so far, there is really nothing I would want to forget as it has all been part of my journey and it has built me as an artist.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
If I could pick a song of mine that represents my music, I would pick "Where Has It Gone". It has a bit of all my influences in it, the musicality is quite minimal and although I know what the lyrics are about, it is full of metaphors and is open for the listeners to make their own interpretation of the song, therefore making it more relatable.

Where can we listen to it?

Where can we find out more about your music?

No comments:

Post a Comment