Tuesday 13 October 2015

Jessie Lee Cates Q&A

Your name: 
Jessie Lee Cates.

Where are you from? 
Chattanooga, Tennessee (USA).

Name of band: 
Jessie Lee Cates.

Who else is in your band? 
Ron Miller (lead guitar), Dennis Greene (rhythm guitar), Darius Chignon (Bass), Chris Kearney (drums) and Brenna Fitzgerald (fiddle and background vocals).

How would you describe yourselves and your music? 
I’m a Tennessee girl who loves her Southern roots and loves to make her own way in country music. I draw on classic country sounds and themes, but I put my own contemporary, rock-edged spin on it. 

Who are your main influences musically?  
It depends on the day, really. Some days, I’ll listen to nothing but independent artists I’ve discovered over the years; other days I’m rockin’ out to Patsy Cline or Waylon or Miranda Lambert. A little bit of all of them goes into me and my music.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
I have BIG dreams, but I also have realistic expectations of what it takes to make a living in this business. I’d love to win a CMA award, but whether I do or don’t, I'll always want to write and perform well-crafted, heartfelt songs that inspire people, songs that real people can use and sing along to in their real, everyday lives. If I can do that while earning enough to make a decent living, I’ll be happy.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?  
Completing my first album was HUGE! It’s something I had dreamed about since I was young, so the morning I woke up and realized it was my first day in the studio, I was walking on clouds! It’s a feeling that can’t be repeated – it’s one of those once-in-a-lifetime events you thank God you had a chance to experience.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?  
I honestly don’t think I want to forget anything. Don’t get me wrong; there have been moments I could scream – LOUD! - but those are the times when I just got stronger as a person and as an artist. Having dealt with those rough times, I know that any success I have will never be taken for granted.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?  
That’s nearly impossible to do! Each of my songs is so different, and each one has a special meaning to me and reveals a different side of me, so you have to hear them all to get the full picture of who I am as a songwriter and as an everyday person. I guess the one that’s most personal is “Wayward Rose,” an autobiographical song about my life growing up with my dad. There’s raw emotion running throughout that song, and it tells a lot about how I became the artist I am today.

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?
I’m on Periscope (linked to my Twitter: @jessieleecates)
I’m also on iTunes, Amazon and CD Baby.

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
I LOVE to hear from new fans on my Facebook, Twitter, Reverb Nation and website!  I always respond to folks who leave me messages, so come visit me on the web!

No comments:

Post a Comment