Tuesday 3 November 2015

Juliana Q&A

Your name:
Juliana.

Where are you from?
I’m from Melbourne, Australia - The Great Oz as I call it.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
My genre is very ‘bitter sweet’; I do not limit myself by writing exclusively ‘pop’ songs. I like to bend the rules and experiment with my song writing so that every song is diverse, but remains within my “genre”, if that makes sense. My songwriting is honest and from the heart because I write only from a place of experience. Everything my music is, I am. You could say I’m a bitter sweetness, and I most definitely honest. I thrive of the connection music gives me to people, it’s why I don’t want to seek a 9-5 job, it’s just not me haha. 

Who are your main influences musically?
All forms of music inspire me, so it’s so hard to narrow that down. One of my favorite lyricists however is definitely Anthony Kiedis. I’m a huge RHCP fan, which may sound strange but true. My favorite voices to listen to are Sia, Chris Cornell and Rihanna; another odd mix I guess, but I can’t help it. Generally speaking, my musical influences go from, The Beatles to Imogen Heap, Sia, Nirvana and Beyonce and of course those I mentioned previously. The list goes on and on. I try and expose myself to all types of sounds; you never know what you’ll be inspired by. Creativity sparks by having had lots of experience with different types of music, so I do my best not to limit myself.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I always aim for the best possible result in anything I do. So the same goes for music. Anything is achievable if you work hard at it. Nothing is ever enough for me, so there won’t be a point where I think, “Yes I’ve achieved everything”. But for now, it would be to reach a point where I can push past the point of being an “establishing artist”, even though you can never be fully established, but to build a “tribe” around me who can help me get my feet off the ground and run with it.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I’m still in bloom; I’m at the very beginning of a long journey ahead. But to have finally released my art after so much preparation- whether that be writing or designing album covers- has been the most rewarding so far. Having people listen to your music is like opening the door to your soul, which may be cheesy, but true because it really is quite confronting. There is nothing that I love more though, and being able to share it with people and have them connect with what I’ve created is what I find so exciting and in most ways, liberating. That’s the best part about being an artist, entirely…well I think so anyway.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
That’s a great question haha! Embarrassment will be the death of me. There’s nothing more that I hate, except for like bananas or something. But in all honesty, I think everything that has happened or will happen to me along the way isn’t worth forgetting, because it helps shape me as a person and prepares me for what’s to come. There’s not enough time for regret in an industry like this and quite frankly, I don’t at all believe it regrets. Things happen because they’re supposed to and it’s how we learn. So no, I don’t want to forget anything.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Perfect Dream. It’s the most recent one written that is featured on the EP and I think that’s because it’s the song when after I wrote it, I thought, “Wow I’ve really got a shot at this” and I knew exactly what I needed to do next. It’s the song that completed the EP. The entire notion around who I am, not only as an artist, but personally is “a bitter sweetness” and I tried to mirror that through the songs I had chosen. Perfect Dream just screamed “bitter sweet”, both lyrically and musically, and it screamed “me”. The idea of a something that isn’t easily defined or even tangible, something that is perfect because it isn’t, is what spoke to me most.

Where can we listen to it?
The EP came out October 16 and is available across iTunes, Spotify, Soundcloud, YouTube etc. You can subscribe to my YouTube channel, relax, sing along and find out more details there!

Where can we find out more about your music? 
I make sure I’m present on all socials as much as possible! So here is where you can find me!
Instagram: @julianasworld_
Twitter: @julianasworld
iTunes/spotify: Listen to my debut single, ‘Waterfalls’ here: http://juliana.lnk.to/FJPnj
  
Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
No that was great, thank you so much for the chat! J.

No comments:

Post a Comment