Thursday 14 February 2013

Trevor Eich Q&A


Your name:
Trevor Eich. 

Where are you from?
Atlanta, Georgia, USA.

How would you describe yourself?
I like to think I'm very focused. Musicianship is something I hold above everything else, and hopefully that is evident in the material I write. I like writing and listening to music with 'twists' to them, much like a clever movie, whether it be an odd rhythmic section or chord changes that aren't necessarily conventional.

Who are your main influences musically?
Dave Brubeck and John Petrucci of Dream Theater are the big two. I started learning Brubeck tunes on the piano when I was 13 or so and it's likely that's why I kept with it. He has a style that is so unique, it's undeniably him. I never ever get tired of listening to Brubeck. John Petrucci is a huge influence, I feel like I've learned so much about guitar and music in general just from listening to his playing and Dream Theater in general. Aside from those two, I'd say Debussy, Chopin.. not just for their piano abilities but their whole composition styles were extraordinary. Muse is one of my favorite bands but don't necessarily influence my own writing.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I really just want to be a great guitarist, pianist, musician. Luckily, all I have to do is practice. But I do want others to enjoy my music (Who doesn't want that?). Every download I get or stream I see of music that I wrote is seriously awesome, it's wonderful to know that someone in the world wants to have in their life something you created.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
When I was 18 I played at the Atlanta Jazz Festival and I felt like a rock star, they pampered us like we were royalty. It was great. There were maybe 1,500 people on the lawns all looking at us. It was quite an experience.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I was in a jazz recital concert while I studied guitar at Georgia State University, and I completely BS'd the changes to a tune and it was very obvious in my solos. It still makes my stomach sour.
  
If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I'd say “Acrobats”. It doesn't include everything that I think would represent me but it should make a good ambassador for everything else.

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
I have recently started a new project with some fellow Georgia State School of Music students. We've written one song so far, it has a bit of a Pink Floyd tone to it. So we'll see what pans out with that. It's nice to jam with these guys and not be calling out jazz standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment