Saturday 13 July 2013

Kelsey Rottiers & The Rising Tide Q&A

Your name:
Kelsey Rottiers.

Where are you from?
I grew up in Davison, Michigan, near Flint, but now I live in Grand Rapids.

Name of band:
Kelsey Rottiers & the Rising Tide.

Who else is in your band?
Sarah Main and Garrett Stier.

How would you describe yourselves?
A cross between Ingrid Michaelson and Brandi Carlile.

Who are your main influences musically?
Jon Foreman, Sara Groves, Josh Garrells, Ella Fitzgerald.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
My hope is to build a team around my music that believes in this as much as I do. To collaborate with talented musicians and form a community of people devoted to honest music and fighting slavery in all it's forms.    

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Recording Bear Hope, our last EP was the highest highlight thus far. I got to spend a week with my close friends in Nashville recording and just having fun. We got everything done in just like a week and a half, and we had fun doing it! Just the chance to work with some amazing musicians who are also great people.   

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
The first night of our first tour, a year ago... My band and I drove separate to our first gig. I got terribly lost and was two hours LATE to our gig! The people who booked us were so gracious- they still paid us, and the audience waited around for me to show up and still sat and listened! It made me feel worse for my lack of a sense of direction because they were so nice about it!

If you had to choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
In the Rising Tide.

Where can we listen to it?


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
Bear Hope, our latest EP was written to raise awareness about human trafficking.  50% of the proceeds from Bear Hope go to Women At Risk International- an organization rescuing women and children from human trafficking all over the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment