Saturday 28 September 2013

Melissa Bel Q&A

Your name:
Melissa Bel.

Where are you from?
Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

How would you describe yourself?
Pop with a dash of blues, pinch of folk and a lot of soul.

Who are your main influences musically?
The Beatles have always been my No. 1...then there's Aretha Franklin, John Mayer, The Temptations, Gavin Degraw, Mavis Staples...And I grew up singing lots of Christina Aguilera, so she definitely deserves some credit. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
To sell out stadiums and win Grammys...lots of Grammys. And do a duet with Paul McCartney. To play all around the world to audiences who are there to hear my music. I dream big :)

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
There have been a couple...in April 2013 I played my first shows in London, England, opening for Juno winner Matthew Good. I was quite nervous, but the crowd in London was amazing!! And in November 2012 I won a contest here in Toronto at a showcase called HoneyJam and won a trip to perform at a similar showcase in Barbados. It was actually a dream.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I don't think anything has been so bad that I'd want to forget it (thankfully!). There have been some less-than-ideal shows and moments for sure, but you always end up taking something out of them and being better for it.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Let's go with C'est La Vie off of my newest EP (titled Don't Forget to Breathe - shameless plug!). I think it's a good marriage of my blues side and my pop side, mixing some contemporary sounds that I'm experimenting  with, and classic elements that I've always loved.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?
instagram/melbelmusic

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
I can't wait to come back and play in the UK!! In fact I recently got my UK passport (my Dad is British)...so you might just be seeing a whole lot more of me soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment