Friday 20 September 2013

The Low Countries Q&A

Your name: 
Nigel Parrington.

Where are you from? 
Lancaster (UK).

Name of band: 
The Low Countries.

Who else is in your band? 
Els D'hooge plays accordion, melodica and harmonizes beautifully. On the 6th October (for one night only) we're playing as a five-piece band. A one-off to launch our new album.

How would you describe yourselves?  
We're painted with the 'indie-folk' brush though I like to dabble in country and pop. I'm a songwriter-singer. We just serve the songs.

Who are your main influences musically? 
Karl Wallinger without a doubt. He's an immensely talented (and underrated) songwriter and musician. Funny guy also. As is Richard Thompson. Goes without saying really. Roy Orbison  got me into music though he's on another level entirely. In both senses.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
A living.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?  
Singing (in Dutch) a song I co-wrote to over 2000 Belgian Scout Leaders and have them sing it back to me. A wonderful and surreal moment.  

And what’s the moment you want to forget?  
The same concert, I'd forgotten to plug in my guitar. (it didn't seem to matter)

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
I really don't know. I've written a lot of songs in many styles. I guess there's a melancholic streak running through a lot of them. One old song has endured so I'll pick that. It's called 'Don't Let It Be You'.  

Where can we listen to it?  

Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?  
Thank you for supporting and promoting new music. It's hard to get noticed. We're releasing our new album on the 7th October. It's called 'The Invisible Ray' and it's very very good. The title track is streaming on Soundcloud and Youtube. Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment