Monday 2 December 2013

Adam Renz Q&A

Your name:
My name is Adam Rens but when I was younger everyone at school used to call me RENZ so naturally I became known as Renz. I wanted to keep my name for the most part of my career but also honour those who has stood by me when I was unknown so I decided to use Adam RenZ as my stage name. In a way it holds my value system of completing everything from A to Z in my career; as you can see the “A” in Adam is capital and the “Z” in Renz is also a capital (Subtly representing A-Z). It may not mean much to others but signing my name like that is a constant reminder that there is always more to achieve for me.

Where are you from?
I was born in a city called Durban, which is on the east coast of South Africa. I was raised there for the most part of my upbringing and this was where I discovered my love for music. I later moved north to a city called Johannesburg in South Africa to go to Uni. After I graduated I decided to move to the UK as most of my family are British and already lived there. So I moved to London where I currently reside and am working full time on my music.

Name of band: 
It’s just me – Adam RenZ

How would you describe yourself?
Pure chart orientated pop music. Where I grew up there was always some sort of shame cast upon those who indulged in pop music as if it wasn't "real" music. This always used to upset me that people would have to hide their taste in music because it wasn’t seen as socially “cool” amongst their friends. As I discovered myself as an artist and realised I was writing pop music I began to stand up for the pop culture  and say there is no shame in loving pop music. After all it is called pop for a reason. I think those ideals overflow into the subject matter of my songs. I want people to stand up for what they believe in and never allow others to make you feel guilty about something that brings you happiness. Sonically, the music is feel good and upbeat with 80’s inspired synths and electro beats.

Who are your main influences musically?
My parents were big into the glam-rock scene when I was a kid. I grew up listening  to bands like Queen, Roxette and Eurythmics as well as artists like Bowie and Cher. But there was one artist who really stood out for me and I think shaped the kind of music I’m making today – that was Softcell. The first time I heard Tainted Love I was mesmerised by the catchy synths and relatively new-age electro percussion. It made me feel something magical and I still listen to it today as if it’s first time I’ve ever heard it. More recently my influences include artist like Adam Lambert, Jason Derulo and Sia Furler. Sonically I’m a massive fan of RedOne and Will.i.am and would love to collaborate with them one day. Generally I’m just a lover of all music and my iPod is filled with every kind of genre you can think of. I think that’s important; to be open minded about where this industry is heading and never rule out where your inspiration can come from.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Well obviously I’d like achieve global success, have my singles and albums sold worldwide, chart entry, a regular tour schedule and fresh ideas to keep the loyal fans coming back but I think being an artist in this day is much more than that. I want to be able to genuinely engage with my fans and know what’s going on in their lives.
I’d hope that the type of music I’m creating inspires them to go after their dream and keep persevering no matter what anyone says. I’m currently working on The Jungle Pride Foundation which will be in aid of several causes that are close to my heart, helping ease the burden of sickness/abuse for kids all over the world. I hope to expand that to The Jungle Pride Camp where kids can come over the summer and meet kids like themselves and learn to perform in a safe environment. 
But to answer your question, what I hope to achieve in music is artistic vision. When I write I’m not just thinking of the lyrics, chords and type of sound I want for a record – it’s more than that. I’m thinking of the videos for the tracks and the type of fashion we’d like to portray as well as the concept behind the live performances of the music. I think every time you’re seen on stage it’s important to remember you’re only as good as your last performance. Artists need to be pushing the boundaries with everything they do and that takes more than just good music. I hope that I can maintain longevity in the industry and that in 25 years people will still be listening to my music like it’s the first time they’ve ever heard it.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I’ve been very fortunate over the years to work with some incredibly talented people but I’d say one of the main highlights of my career was working with Toni Toolz who produced my track Predator which is on the EP “Light”. He has worked with some amazing artists including N.E.R.D and Kelis. My second major highlight was being contacted by Columbia Records in New York to say that their A&R department are currently reviewing my material. Obviously I’m hoping to be signed to a major label soon.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
LOL, I have a policy in life to never regret anything I do. Wanting to forget something would mean I regret it. Not that I haven’t made mistakes or had embarrassing moments but I wouldn’t want to erase those moments from my life because they’ve all shaped me into the type of artist I am today. I think we need to be open to life experiences being lessons, even the bad ones.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
It would definitely be Light, the title track to the EP simply because the song encompasses my ideals as an artist and is such a feel good track. But it’s always hard to pick just one.

Where can we listen to it?
At the moment the EP “Light” will be released on January 15th available for pre-order on December 15th  2013 on all major digital download sites including iTunes and Amazon.
But if you’d like to get an exclusive listen in on the EP you can do so at soundcloud.com/adam-renz-1


Where can we find out more about your music?
Other than Soundcloud you can also subscribe to my youtube channel at:
You can also like my facebook page for updates on new music and tour schedules at:
Also Tweet me @RenzAdam – I love reading tweets from fans and I will always try my best to personally reply.
My artist website is currently under construction and I will tweet the links for that and for the EP on iTunes when it’s ready.

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
I think I’ve rambled on about much more than you asked for in your questions already LOL. I’d just like to thank everyone for the incredible support and love that you share every day. I’m so grateful for all of you. Keep listening and be yourself. Much Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment