Friday 20 December 2013

Phillip Foxley Q&A

Your name: 
Phillip Foxley.

Where are you from? 
Born in Urmston, Manchester, but home for many years is Conwy, North Wales.

Name of band:
Just me – solo artist

How would you describe yourself?: 
Well, I’m a basically a blues rock songwriter and guitarist with a passion for writing original music mainly aimed at film licensing opportunities.

Who are your main influences musically?
Many and varied but when I think back ... Gary Moore, Johnny Winter, Zal Cleminson (Alex Harvey Band), Leslie West (Mountain) etc.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Well, to land a soundtrack to an A-list film would be considered the greatest achievement.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
No real highlights to be honest, I just enjoy playing and recording music in my own way and I do get a real buzz when someone takes the time to email me to tell me they like the songs.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
When my trusty old amp blew up in flames halfway through a set in the middle of a long instrumental. The gig was the biggest we had ever played and local tv crew were filming us at the time. Suffice to say the recoding was never aired. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Tricky this one because ‘Demon Lover’ is a firm favourite and it’s origin goes back many years, but I think the new ‘work in progress’ track called ‘Racing Thru Time’ is the one because the song was written in about an hour and just fell together exactly as I wanted. Also, it’s all about spending time with my lovely wife D’ (Dawn). Trouble is, every new song is the current favourite. 

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?:
Well I’d just like to say that because I can’t sing, I’ve always had trouble with finding the right vocals for my songs, to such an extent that I have a huge library of as yet unreleased material. However, recently, I’ve bumped into a couple of US and Canadian session vocalists that have really nailed my new stuff and I’m really excited about this.
You can hear these vocal tracks on my Reverbnation website e.g. ‘Demon Lover’ and the piano version of ‘Promises’ are by a US session team called O!k!Team and the acoustic version of ‘Promises’ is by a Canadian artist called Eve – or 3v3Sound as she likes to be called. These songs were actually written some years ago and have been around as guitar instrumentals since Nov 2011. However, these new vocal versions sound exactly how I imagined they should be and I’m very grateful to the girls for breathing life and character into what are essentially very simple songs.
Btw, all these tracks will be mastered and included on my new EP scheduled for release around February 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment