Saturday 8 February 2014

Ben Crosby Q&A

Your name:
Ben Crosby.

Where are you from?
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada.

Name of band:
I just call myself Ben Crosby… so do my friends. 

Who else is in your band? 
Just little old me, a few hired guns for some shows (I pay them in pizza).

How would you describe yourselves?
Cautiously optimistic…? Also I like to hats. Thats a big thing for me.

Who are your main influences musically?
I'd have to say Brian Fallon and The Gaslight Anthem, Chuck Ragan, and Dave Hause. Basically the 2011 Revival tour blew my mind. Those guys have really influenced my writing over the last 6 or 7 years.  I grew up listening to metal and hard rock, and after I kinda got over my hating the world phase when I was a teenager, there wasn't much that spoke to me as a young 20 something year old man. At least not on the radio in my town. Discovered the Gaslight Anthem's 59 Sound album in 2007 and it really changed my outlook on what songwriting can be. A sad song doesn't have to be a depressing song, a romantic song doesn't have to be a sappy cheese fest of a song. Theres this magical place where a song can make you feel happy and sad all at the same time. I don't think I've gotten there yet as a writer but thats where I hope to find myself one day.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
They say to dream big, but really, just being able to make a living singing songs and strumming a guitar is fk'n awesome. Fame and fortune I think are over rated. I'm living the dream right now as far as I'm concerned, so the plan is to just keep moving forward with it. Who knows where that'll go...

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I've gotten to meet, play with, work with, and share the stage with some really awesome and talented people in the last year. Too many to name, but recording this EP with Chris Birkett was a huge highlight. He's collaborated and produced some huge artists and just getting to hang out and soak up some knowledge was a huge privilege. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I've probably already forgotten… lol Ive been in bands my whole life, and especially when I was younger, I used to treat it as a party all the time. Sometimes you get on stage a little more loosened up than you should be, play a little sloppy, maybe say somethings that make you do the old forehead slap when you hear them back later. I'm in another band called The Dapper Fiends with my buddy Devon, he'll tell you I always put my foot in my mouth at some point when it comes to stage banter.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Let My Body Hit The Floor takes a tour through a few different styles along the way, so I feel like it covers enough bases. 

Where can we listen to it?

Where can we find out more about your music?
twitter: @bencrosbymusic

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
The Shed Our Skin EP will be available on iTunes, Amazon etc very shortly. As in if you're reading this, it's probably on there now! Also you're good looking and intelligent and I'm sure your parents are very proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment