Monday 24 March 2014

Isotherme Q&A

Your name:
Jeffrey Kirn.

Where are you from?
New York, USA.

Name of band:
Isotherme.

Who else is in your band? 
Just me, though I sometimes collaborate with other musicians.

How would you describe yourself?
Composer/guitarist/keyboardist working in a primarily electronic medium. I like to use ambient electronic as a starting point, but also mix in a collage of sounds, textures, jazz and classical harmonies and field recordings.

Who are your main influences musically?
Thelonious Monk, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Aphex Twin, Brian Eno, Piano Magic, Miles Davis.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I wish to be recognized as a thoughtful and creative composer. Not looking for riches or fame. Would love to be able to sustain myself financially through composing/recording and film music, but in reality, that's a very tough thing to achieve. Having fun with all of it, though. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Any time someone tells me that music I wrote made them cry or gave goosebumps. Also, I see my music as a sort that takes listeners on a journey. When someone tells me that they felt and enjoyed that journey, I feel I've succeeded.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Acoustic gig in NY in 1995.  Small stage. I stood under the heater for two hours with hot air blowing on my 12-string acoustic, knocking it out of tune repeatedly. Bartender made me pay for the "free" beer because it sounded so awful.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Angle of Isolation. It is a composition with references to earth science and geometry, but it is a sound collage that's really about love. The "angle of isolation" is the angle which our arms form when embracing someone. I feel this piece displays my use of melodic textures, creating atmospheres and communicating through sound, as well as notes and chords.

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
I'm very thankful to Greg for the opportunity to particpate!


No comments:

Post a Comment