Monday 24 March 2014

Geeky Disco Experiment Q&A

Your name: 
Geeky Disco.

Where are you from? 
Nottingham, England.

Name of band: 
The Geeky Disco Experiment.

Who else is in your band? 
No one. Just me. It's open-ended though. I have had someone else assist once before but its my band and my project.

How would you describe yourselves? 
The clue is in the name. The band essentially combines the geeky and esoteric with a dance sensibility. Often the music has a melancholic tone. But the whole point of it being an "experiment" is that the project has no definite goals/aims/destinations. Its an open-ended idea. Some music will be quite listenable and some is almost intended to be appreciated as an artistic exercise instead. Music is regarded as art just as much, if not more, than mere entertainment in The Geeky Disco Experiment.

Who are your main influences musically? 
As the chosen form of music for the band is electronic (synthesizers and drum machines) the influences here are largely the same. Most directly this means the experimental techno pop of Kraftwerk and the beat driven sensibilities of 80s electro. I am also greatly inspired by the industrial electronic pioneers such as Throbbing Gristle who weren't afraid to use noise (and it was noise) to make art. I would like to think I inherit their philosophy.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
It's more a case of what I hope to achieve WITH music. I have no ambition beyond being able to continue making the music I want to make. Music to me is a form of self-expression rather than a highway to fame and fortune.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
I'm not sure that I have a "career" or a "highlight" but the musical thing I have enjoyed the most was being able to spend a lot of 2013 in Berlin, electronic music capital of the world. There I was able to mix with people both strange and creative in a very open atmosphere and it lead to the most creative period of my musical life.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
The first song I ever did - called "Cheeky Tanga Girls". Bad tune, bad lyrics and bad singing.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
It would be a song called "Love Camel", the first song I wrote during my stay in Berlin. I'd pick it because I wrote at the end of a spectacularly sunny day and I was feeling great. The song really came together very easily, in only a few minutes. Just one of those times when everything clicks. And I also think it represents the melancholic nature I seem to have. It summons up good memories and good images in my head.





Where can we find out more about your music? 
I have a Twitter account @GeekyDisco and my music is all hosted on Bandcamp http://thegeekydiscoexperiment.bandcamp.com/ There is also a Soundcloud where a few songs are kept https://soundcloud.com/the-geekydisco-experiment

No comments:

Post a Comment