Saturday 29 March 2014

Mattias Törnell Q&A

Your name:
Mattias Törnell, solo artist.

Where are you from?
I am from Sweden. Born and raised in Söderhamn, have moved around a lot and am now living in Gävle.

Who else is in your band?
I have a drummer, bass player and guitar player that has played on my upcoming album. They will also be doing some shows with me in the future but are not exactly my band in the traditional sense. Next show planned together with them is at my release party for the album, some time late April. Will be posting some videos from that show on my youtube account

How would you describe yourselves?
In short I would describe myself as a relaxed but focused energetic thinker. I am a creative soul and at the same time I have my own music production company that I run so I try very hard to maintain good routines for my everyday living to balance the creative/unstructured/free flying dreaming artist side and the structured focused business side.

Who are your main influences musically?
Oh, that´s a tough one. My mother (Monica Törnell - http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monica_T%C3%B6rnell )  is a professional singer in Sweden and have been all of my life so I have grown up with all kinds of music and musicians around me. (She actually won the Swedish leg of the Eurovision song contest in -86 with a song called "E dé det här du kallar kärlek" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EI8K28g6_Y ) . So I have listened to everything from Swedish folk music to classical music, musicals, Elton John, Queen, Dive (Swedish band), Daniel Lanois, Led Zeppelin, The Doors,  Michael Jackson, Toto, Pearl Jam, Dream Theater, Metallica, Tool and so on… the list would go on forever! =D
I would like to think that what I do is a mashup of all of these influences that has helped me shape my own writing style and sound. I sang and wrote songs in a metal band about 10-15 years ago and people say that even though I play and write more "acoustic singer/songwriter pop" now days they still can hear those metal/rock influences in some chords/harmonies/melodies.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Well, one of my biggest dreams would be to reach/get an audience big enough for me to be able to be out playing/touring a night or two every week. I love the thrill of playing live and meeting the audience in that environment. Another thing I am hoping for is that my music can reach out to people, to feel that my music can touch and maybe help people feel that they are not alone or whatever, the same way that music has been there for me through many of my darkest moments.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I think that when a fan told me that she had one of my songs on repeat for several hours while crying her heart because I nailed one of her experiences spot on is one of the highlights. The knowledge of touching someone in that way felt great even though I made her cry, hehe. But I would like to think that it was a liberating moment for her, helping her release and process some pent up emotions.
Another cool feeling was the first time I heard my own song play on the radio.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Hm… I don´t want to forget any moment since even the mistakes and failure gives experience. But if I have to chose one I would say that it was when we had a confused/drunk/high sound guy at a show with my metal band. He messed up the sound, caused feedback on and of through the whole show, happened to mute the mics at one point and so one…. not a great show.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Another tough question. Of the ones I have published so far I would say "Insomnia"… or maybe "Just Within My Reach" (yeah I know you said one but I have a hard time choosing. ;) ).
I say "Insomnia" for the fact that I think it portrays the torn spirit that I am… I can appreciate the little things in life and I feel content with life most of the time, feeling thankful for what I have received instead of dwelling over what I think I miss. At the same time I sometimes feel an inexplicable sadness just in general. I think the songs captures that feeling and my personality.
In "Just Within My Reach" I feel that my drive and focus and will to challenge myself comes through… still with my melancholic and torn spirit present. It´s a song about daring to let go of things that give you a sense of security in order to give yourself a chance to reach your dreams.

Where can we listen to it?
Insomnia:



Just Within My Reach:

Where can we find out more about your music?

My sites:

My EP:


No comments:

Post a Comment