Friday 11 April 2014

Digital Slumber Party Q&A

Your names:
Paul and Chris.

Where are you from?
We're both from Atlanta, Georgia, USA ...born and raised.

Name of band:
Digital Slumber Party.

Who is in your band?
Paul - Chris Euton (a.k.a. AD Eight)
Chris - My co-conspirator, Paul Wardrip. Its helps having a computer genius in the band, especially when trying to explain production ideas to someone who would typically be an engineer.

How would you describe yourselves? 
Paul - Chris is a musician in the classical sense, while I am much more of a producer, a technician and a meticulous collector of music. What makes the combination so special is just how diverse our skills and influences are, such that we really approach creating music from completely different perspectives, but when we work together we create something so much more than either of us would have done on our own.
Chris - different everyday, but I think we're both pretty down to earth guys. Sure, we work & party hard but we're also at our day job the next morning.

Who are your main influences musically?
Paul - I listen to so many different genres of music from EDM to heavy rock, industrial, hip-hop, pop and even classical. There are hundreds of artists I admire and they may all show up in my music eventually, if I have enough time on this earth to pay homage to them all. While Chris tends to create much more chill, uplifting ambient sounds, I create more dark, gritty heavy material. My personal musical heroes are Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan, Trent Reznor, Chino Moreno, Daryl Palumbo, Craig Owens and Aleksander Vinter, only one of whom writes dance music. Despite all this I really got into writing electronic music because I loved the scores from old video games. 
Chris - My main weapon of choice is the bass guitar, so I'm probably most influenced by anything with a unique beat and melody.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Chris - Cover of Spin Magazine will do at this point.
Paul -  I just want to create something that is speaks to me and have it heard, so that it hopefully speaks to someone else. If a person hears a song we wrote and they hold onto that... if it makes someone dance, puts them in a better mood as they drive home from work or they find some solace in it I have done a great thing. I just want to be heard.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Paul -  It hasn't happened yet. We have only scratched the surface of the game changing ideas we have and we aren't prepared to unleash them upon the world yet. When we do everyone who sees it will know that it happened, I don't intend for us to do anything in half measures. Up to now the realization of the synergy between us is the most important thing that has happened, if not for this I don't believe I would be creating music today and looking back now that would be very tragic.
Chris - free drinks at the club. 
And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Paul - The way we got into doing this together was the kind of situation that was unfortunate, but opened the door for us to work together on this project. I don't generally believe in forgetting about dark or trying experiences, they usually hold lessons you don't understand at the time and they are a part of who you are. Chris might disagree about this particular situation, I'm sure he wants to forget about it. I personally have stumbled through a number of difficult things that have drained my creative energies since we started this project and I wasn't all in at certain points, it's unfortunate but I have no regrets about it. The sum of our experiences give a depth of character to what they influence, it's all about what you choose to do with it.
Chris - I learned the hard way not to work or collaborate with people who aren't after the same goals - no matter how talented, or how good of friends you are. If you aren't on the same page, it's not going to work out. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Paul -  Midnight Pressure, it speaks to me in a much different way that it does to Chris and his motivations for writing it, but we both feel emotionally connected to that song for different reasons, besides all of that, it's a beautiful piece of music that captures our style pretty well.
Chris - If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Delicate Device. I love the story it tells. To me, it's about the circle of life.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
Paul - We have a lot planned for the year ahead and I'm certain we're going to delight our current fans and make many more over the course of this year.
Chris - Thanks again for having us!

No comments:

Post a Comment