Friday 25 April 2014

KingPin Wilson Q&A

Your name: 
Peter-John Wilson.

Where are you from? 
Barrie, ON, Canada.

Artist name: 
PJ ”KingPin” Wilson.

How would you describe yourself?
I’d describe myself as a throwback artist with stylings of the Motown era. I believe that music/songs should have an impactful message. I believe that listeners should be able to identify with and relate to the situations being conveyed by the artist through the song. I believe in connecting with my audience and my fans in a real way, and I’d also hope to impact their lives in a real and positive way also.

Who are your main influences musically?
My main influences are first – my mom and dad, because they loved that old school Motown music as well as that Caribbean style feel good Calypso music (they were born in Trinidad and Tobago and came to Canada in the mid 60s). After them, I’d definitely have to say Boyz II Men, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye to mention a few. Simply the Motown era of RnB and the 90’s era of RnB. Those eras impacted me the most and are eras I still look back on with joy.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I hope to establish a brand of music that revitalizes soul music. Real voices! Real instruments! Songs with a message of positivity, and tunes of happiness that people can identify with. This is one of the reasons I was named KingPin – I’m the KingPin of Soul and I’m bringing that sound back one way or another.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The highlight of my career thus far was completing my most recent six-track EP entitled Rise of the KingPin. Writing these songs established my sound and my style as an artist. I also got the opportunity to work with the very talented Kuya Productions. Finally having a body of work that is at the level of all major recording artists is a huge accomplishment because you need to have good songs. That is a MUST, everything else can come after. You can look great, dress great, and say the right things, but if you don’t have good solid quality songs – I just wouldn’t feel right about it.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
There aren’t any moments that I want to forget, because I believe we learn from those situations that didn’t go our way. So I’d change the question slightly by saying the moment I wish turned out differently. The moments that really sting have been the ones where radio stations here in Canada say the music sounds great, it’s radio ready, but our policy is we don’t break unknown artists or they ask where are you charting, or you don’t have enough YouTube hits, Twitter followers, Facebook Likes etc. Yet radio stations in Europe and online stations in the UK and the States will gladly play my music.  So it hurts because I love my country and I want to share my music here. I still hold out hope that things can change in that regard.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I would pick the song “Sinners” because I love the message in that song and I feel that it captures that soulful Motown Vibe that I want to be known for, along with a message that (again) I feel that people can relate to.

Where can we listen to it? 


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
I just like making positive, fun and upbeat music about real situations that people go through. I’d like to put Canada on the map for RnB and soul music, let the world know we have more then just Rockers, pop stars and rappers here. Thank you for this opportunity to share a bit about myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment