Thursday 24 April 2014

Ninth Floor Mannequin Q&A

Your name: 
Jarrod Pedone.

Where are you from? 
Staten Island, NY.

Name of band: 
Ninth Floor Mannequin.

Who else is in your band? 
I write/perform/record/mix/master all of the music by myself. I use a steady group of musician friends for performances.

How would you describe yourselves? 
I never wanted to be "That drummer who thought that the band should start doing his songs". So, I kept my mouth shut and the songs sealed up in my head. This project is the only place where I let those strange ideas take shape in an unfiltered way. I've been a musician for a while now. So, the band is just a collection of favorite musicians who I've met along the way. 

Who are your main influences musically? 
Like most musicians, my influence list is long. However, if I had to boil it down to basics, I'd go with Paul Simon, Erykah Badu, Frederic Chopin, The Get Up Kids, Jeff Buckley, Bjork, The Zombies & Danny Elfman. 

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
I hope to rekindle the relationship between music and some other creative art. I like to let factors such as film and literature leak into the music writing and recording process as opposed to the standard stand-alone popular music album. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading an in-depth review of my EP. I found a lot of satisfaction in seeing a writer hypothesize about my creative thought process using only my finished music product as his guide. It's even more satisfying to hear that some of his assumptions were eerily correct. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
I'd like to forget how hard it was to label the EP as "finished". I have perfectionist tendencies and it's tough to wear your imperfections on your sleeve, permanently. I still get tempted to go back and fix something every time I hear my music played. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
I would go with "Snakebit". The reason being that it feels the most natural. I've never thought that the song was too this genre or too that genre. It feels like that song most accurately replicates the sounds that play in my mind. It's simply the most honest song that I've made so far. 

Where can we listen to it? 
http://ninthfloormannequin.bandcamp.com/track/snakebit


Where can we find out more about your music?
Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask? 
This debut EP was brought to you by a love of classic sci-fi combined with my 11-day coma...long story. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment