Thursday 24 April 2014

Beth Marlin Q&A

Your name:
Beth Marlin.

Where are you from? 
Born in New York City but been a Californian for a long time.

Name of band: 
Beth Marlin if it's a solo show, Beth Marlin Band if it's with full band.

Who else is in your band? 
San Francisco players: guitarist Gary Zellerbach, bassist Carl Herder, drummer/percussionist Scott Wild.
Los Angeles musicians: bassist and my record producer Jon Baker, guitarist James Harrah, composer Tim Heintz (keyboards, harmonium, Mellotron, drums etc.), blues harp man Paul Vallis, violinst Charlie Bisharat.

How would you describe yourself? 
Singer/songwriter genre...I write and sing the songs, with a few dollops of folk, rock and roll, country, bluegrass and jazz thrown in there. I would say please give a listen and help me describe myself (Facebook Player page link below).

Who are your main influences musically?  
The first album I ever bought was Meet The Beatles and Paul McCartney instantly became my guru...still is. Just saw him at Outside Lands Festival August 2013 and the title of my upcoming release is "Blackbird". I was also an usher at Fillmore East in New York when I was in high school and got to see Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, etc...made me want to write songs.

What do you hope to achieve in music?  
In the 90's I was "Bethie", BMG childrens' recording artist. Although that period of my career was hugely successful, today, having recently moved to San Francisco from Los Angeles, I am achieving something important each day. My great joy at having reignited my inner musical self, comes from connectedness. We have a badass singer/songwriter community here in SF, and I'm honored to be on the regular list of artists who are booked by our local king of house concerts, KC Turner. He's awesome. So my answer is, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at this very minute.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?  
Most dramatic gig I ever had was my Easter children's show at the White House in '94. They flew me and my family to DC and we were invited into Hilary Clinton's salon for a chat. These days, doing gratis shows for Bread and Roses, a local org that brings live music to places where folks can't get out, continues to be a highlight. Beth Marlin Band at the 2013 Yerba Buena Night Festival in San Francisco, was also pretty swell. Rumor has it, we're being asked back this year.

And what's the moment you want to forget? 
First open mic ever, in Scottsdale, Arizona, where my body and my mind froze up at the same moment and I was unable to remember the song I had been executing perfectly, every day for months.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?  
A track from my upcoming album. The song is called "I'm A Stranger" and refers to way I feel when I go back home to New York City. I'd like to change that pattern.

Where can we listen to it?   


Where can we find out more about your music? 
Please "like" my Beth Marlin Facebook artist page which lets me know who's out there...I'm a fan of connectedness via social media.
Soundcloud has a lot of songs from 2 of my kids' albums, Sam The Snake (winner of Parents' Choice Gold) and Tied Together With Love (Parents' Choice Silver): https://soundcloud.com/bethmarlin/four-froggie-brothers
Buy last album, Let Me In on CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bethmarlin/from/leicesterbangs
Check out Bread and Roses, and donate if you can! Thanks. http://www.breadandroses.org/

Anything else you'd like to say that I forgot to ask?  
I suppose I should say that I play many instruments as well as singing lead vocals...acoustic and electric guitar, soprano and baritone ukulele, banjo-uke, accordion, and miniature toy piano. Cheers and thanks for the Q&A! Blackbird is on its way, Spring 2014 release.

No comments:

Post a Comment