Monday 21 April 2014

Kenny Fame Q&A

Your name: 
My name is Kenny Fame.

Where are you from? 
I was born and raised in Paterson, New Jersey, but I am based in Harlem, New York.

Who else is in your band? 
I am a one man band: I write, produce, arrange, perform, conceive; when you are this focused and talented who needs a band?!

How would you describe yourself? 
I've been described as a a triple threat artist. I started out as a poet/spoke word performing artist. I am an award-wining poet so lyrics and composing came like breathing; but I also sing and in multiple octaves; how many recording artist today can say that they are accomplished at all of that?!

Who are your main influences musically?  
Madonna. She's often criticized and I get it. When a person has a natural gift for music, people tend to be very critical. I go through that myself. it's as if if you don't have a guitar strapped across your neck, how can you possibly be writing music?! #Duh... but I do and it spills out of me #everyday and I am the one that usually have to inspire the quote un quote, actual musicians, that are having a bad case of writers' block, to create some music. And that was exactly what Madonna did and it's exactly what I am doing today and other people can't take it, because they can't contain it and they can't do it themselves--musicians or otherwise.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
I hope to achieve longevity. I was born in a town that doesn't boast many musicians. I am from a family that boast many; if any. I don't think people know how to take me; in terms of family and hometown friends--they sure don't support me and I don't think they know how because its new. People are creatures of habit and if they have a habit of spreading the word about Beyonce new CD, that's what they will spread the word about; meanwhile my last CD didn't move; yet it came out the week before. How much sense does that make when they knew me? I want to make the world understand that just because an artist is not Beyonce or JayZ, or Drake; you can still support the artist. It doesn't have to be a major release, it can be an indie artist. Don't just share links on your Facebook about the latest Beyonce release, or raise discussions regarding JayZ's Holy Grail in your Facebook status -- those artist are good they don't need your promotion. Why help those rich divas continue to get richer than God? Help out your own. Your family. Your homeboy. An Indie-Artist. It's Ok!

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
Nothing compares to hearing yourself for the first time on the radio; thank you very much Gashouse Radio. I was orgasmic; but the icing on the cake was hearing my song being announced as the #1 requested song for the day on the countdown and this went on for days--day after day. I think I nearly pee myself when that happened--beyond orgasmic!

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
Seeing the way people that I thought would be supportive of me put all of their energy in to Beyonce's "Yonce" surprise release when my CD was available for pre-order since the summer of 2013; but I digress. I just think Black people more than anybody gotta stopped being tricked by the conglomerates. It wasn't genius marketing. It wasn't unplanned. It wasn't a record that she did her way (note the 20 writers per track). You don't create a song with Drake, Justin Timberlake, Miguel, Timberland and all of the heavyweights in the business and then say "oh I don't really care what people think" Really?! That moment of feeling upstaged I would love to forget.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
"Rejoyce". Definitely. If you listen to it, it is very juxtaposed. It's me. I'm not one way or the other; I listen to it all. And on top of that it is an amazingly awesome track!

Where can we listen to it?                                



Where can we find out more about your music? 
                                                                     
Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask? 
In all honesty anything that I need to say about my music you can discover by pressing play and supporting new music and indie artist in general. My aim is to be an individual, to create a singular sound, to be a leader and not a follower and when you press play--you will discover that!

1 comment: