Wednesday 4 June 2014

The Wax Girl Q&A

Your name:
Alex Wright.

Where are you from?
Toronto, Canada.

Name of band:
The Wax Girl.

How would you describe yourself?
Honest, resilient, passionate, idealistic, sincere. I think the same words can be used to describe my music.

Who are your main influences musically?
Some can probably be heard in my music more than others, but here are a few: Radiohead, Joy Division, Portishead, Björk, Elliott Smith, Fleet Foxes, Sigur Rós, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I always dream that someday my music will be heard in film. The thought of composing music for a film score is something that really excites me. I’d be thrilled if I ever got the chance.
Ultimately, I’d really just like to be able to keep creating music for as long as I can, while continuing to connect with the people that my music reaches.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
My music career has brought me many wonderful experiences; not just through the short time that I’ve spent developing The Wax Girl, but through other bands that I’ve had the pleasure of being part of. I’ve toured across Canada with some incredibly talented musicians/great friends, performed in packed venues and made an appearance in a film. I’m very thankful for all those experiences.
Above all, meeting my beautiful girlfriend, Sara, is the greatest moment. It was a long chain of unusual circumstances that brought us together and if it wasn’t for my music career, I would have never met her. She inspires me every day to keep following my dreams and I can't imagine my life without her.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I find value in every experience, good or bad. I never regret anything.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Music isn’t always easy to write. In fact, most of the time I find it difficult to create something that I’m really proud of. For every piece that makes the cut, there are a handful of others that don’t. So when an idea blossoms so beautifully, and so effortlessly, the feeling of self-awareness is greatly amplified. I can’t even begin to explain just how incredible that feels.
To answer your question, ‘Unknown Location’ best represents my current body of work, because those rare feelings were experienced when I wrote it.

Where can we listen to it?
It can be streamed or downloaded for free, here:
https://soundcloud.com/thewaxgirl/unknown-location



Where can we find out more about your music?
Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask?

Thank you RealSoundsOk for inviting me to participate in this Q&A. I appreciate the work that you do. I’m currently working on new music and will be making a special announcement very soon. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment