Thursday 7 August 2014

Jim Guittard Q&A

Your name:
Jim Guittard.

Where are you from?
I am originally from Dallas, Texas, but have lived all over including Gunnison, Colorado, Hollywood, California, Pernik, Bulgaria, Portland, Oregon, and now Fort Worth, Texas.

Name of band: 
It’s just me: Jim Guittard and sometimes crew.

Who else is in your band? 
Throughout the years, I have had a few people help with the recordings from time to time including Vladimir Maskov (Russian dude), Bob Guittard (my brother), Jim Seagroves (long-time friend), Ekaterina Guittard (my wife) and Warren Barry. But mainly it is a one-man band effort.

How would you describe yourselves?
Well, I’d like to think that I can’t be boxed in. Here is my short bio: Jim Guittard creates music in a documentary music style from psychedelic folk to lo-fi indie-rock. He's been putting out his brand of do it yourself little demo tapes since his college days that serve as a personal diary. Guittard has spent some time in Hollywood pounding the musical pavement. His 4th album "Busted In Bulgaria" was recorded while he lived overseas in Bulgaria as a teacher.

Who are your main influences musically?
I have a lot of diverse influences which include Beck, the Byrds, Bob Dylan, Gene Clark, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Woody Guthrie, the Cure, Roger McGuinn, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, the Velvet Underground and Tom Petty. Early on one of my influences was a guy at my same high school who played in several school bands called Wes Cunningham. He really is why I started playing guitar. These sum up the main ones!

What do you hope to achieve in music?
The main thing I hope to achieve in music is simply to document what’s going on in my life and to hopefully connect with some people in the process. I do hope to make a mark in an underground kind of way. I’d be doing music even if I wasn’t making a penny. Getting some money would be nice but that’s not the main thing. I’d like to get some of my songs into films or on TV.   

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The highlight thus far has been a few hour long interviews I’ve had with a podcaster up in British Columbia called Jay Daniels. His show’s called the Muffin Junkee and broadcasts groovy lo-fi music: http://www.buzzsprout.com/10029/96793-the-muffin-junkee-7-the-guittard-tapes-with-co-host-jim-guittard  It was a highlight because someone took the time to feature me and my music with an in-depth interview.
Coming in second would be when I wrote a protest song while I was serving as a Peace Corps volunteer English teacher in Bulgaria and it almost got me kicked out of the Peace Corps. The diplomats at the U.S. Embassy Sofia were having a melt-down after I was in the papers regarding the ongoing teacher strike. It was a highlight because my music was pushing the envelope.
Another highlight would be recording and doing music with Henry McGuinn in our little duo called the Ragas. Henry is the son of Roger McGuinn who is one of the founders of the 1960’s band the Byrds. (http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/339962/the-ragas)

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
There’s really nothing I’d like to forget. Everything has been quite nice. I did have some guitars and other gear stolen a few years back but these things happen and you just gotta get back up again and carry on. These situations make me the person I am today. Take the good and leave the bad behind.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
One of the songs that represents my music quite well is a song off my Rise album called You Can Not Knock Me Down.

Where can we listen to it?


Where can we find out more about your music? 
Official Site - http://jimguittard.com/

Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask?
I’d just like to encourage other creative types to create. There’s really no excuse to squander those talents if you have them. Be yourself! The technology is there to be heard or seen and to make a difference in this world. Get going. 

1 comment: