Wednesday 17 September 2014

Ian Haygreen Q&A

Your name: 
Ian Haygreen

Where are you from? 
Ridgewell, Essex.

How would you describe yourself? 
Not sure, to be honest. An electronic musician who mainly uses a laptop and iPhone. Musically I range from dark ambient to electronica and occasionally Krautrock-style noodlings. Pretty much whatever takes my fancy at the time. Something like that anyway.

Who are your main influences musically? 
All sorts: Tangerine Dream, Cluster, Stravinsky, Beethoven, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, Brian Eno, Klaus Schulze, Harmonia, Conrad Schnitzler, Sibelius, Atrium Carceri, Lustmord, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Stockhausen, Bach, Vivaldi - and so on. In no particular order. I listen to a quite large range of music.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
A living wage - haha! Really I don't know - I started simply to amuse myself and much to my surprise it seems to be slowly taking off - a few people are kind enough to like what I do.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
Having a piece played on BBC Radio 3's Late Junction programme.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
I can't remember.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
Ah, now that it difficult because it all depends on what mood I'm in. I don't know if I can pick just one - Underworld sums up the dark side, I suppose, and Early Autumn Morning Bike Ride sums up the more cheerful side (if cheerful is the word I want). I know, that's two, but there it is.

Where can we listen to it?





Where can we find out more about your music?
I'm not a big Facebook user so Twitter would be best and the the two sites listed above. Mind you, Twitter is mainly waffle with bits about the music thrown in. 

Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask? 
It will probably interest nobody but I'm foolishly working on a version of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring - because it has always been one of my favourite pieces of music and it represents a challenge. It's one of those projects one starts and then half way through think - why? Why did I start this? But I'm an obstinate bugger and I will get it finished in the next few weeks. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment