Tuesday 16 September 2014

Valentina Keys Q&A

Your name
Valentina Keys.

Where are you from? 
I was born in Odessa on the Black Sea. I grew up in St Andrews and moved to London in 2006.

How would you describe yourself? 
A singer-songwriter with passionate retro pop music, piano and vocal based.

Who are your main influences musically? 
Elton John, Adele, Eva Cassidy, Beyonce, Whitney Houston, Nat King Cole, Rahmaninov and Chopin

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
To do more of it and to do it better! Success and recognition is the ultimate goal, which I imagine would consist of people coming especially to hear me perform in reputable venues and top artists would do amazing covers of my songs.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
Every gig is a highlight. Every compliment about my music is a gem which I treasure.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
I can’t remember!

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
“I Asked an Angel” is a song I am very proud of and which has deep personal meaning because I wrote it when I was transitioning from a difficult time in my life and searching for answers, for solutions, for a new light. The song is a metaphor. Some people pray and meditate, others seek advice from friends and family. Everyone has their own Angel in one form or another, who they confide in and turn to in times of trouble and more often than not we hear back words of comfort and hope – to keep going, to be patient... The song was an epiphany for me when I wrote it because the act of writing it gave me the answers I needed. Incidentally we have just finished filming the music video of the song shot by a very talented young film director Luca Vullo. The video is in post-production stage and will be finished later this autumm. Watch the space!

Where can we listen to it? 
There are two versions: the 2012 one and the 2014 one, both available on itunes and Spotify but can also be heard on soundcloud.com/valentinakeys



Where can we find out more about your music? 
I announce my gigs on Twitter and on my website: valentinakeys.com

Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask? 
I want to thank my producer Stuart Epps who has been very supportive and inspiring. Also, I am looking to co-write and co-perform with other artists so if anyone wants to get involved please drop me a line on valentinakeys@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment