Sunday 5 October 2014

Clara Engel Q&A

Your name: 
Clara Engel.

Where are you from? 
Toronto, Canada.

How would you describe yourself? 
I try to avoid it if possible, but I prefer 'artist' to 'singer/songwriter'.

Who are your main influences musically?
I'm not sure how to answer that anymore, and a lot of my influences come from outside music as well. 
Robert Johnson, Antony and the Johnsons, Jacques Brel, Gillian Welch, Mary Lou Williams, Earth, Dirty Three, and Harold Budd, to name a few. But also poets - Paul Celan, Theodore Roethke, Derek Jarman's writing, Virginia Woolf. Jim Jarmusch movies. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I don't really think in terms of achievements, so I have no idea. I'd rather keep making songs and keep feeling like I'm going deeper with it. I think I've already achieved something by marrying my poetic sensibility to my musical sensibility, and I'm continuing to work on that. Whether my work gets heard in a wider context or not, whether it is deemed "important" - that is not really up to me, so I can't concern myself too much with it.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Every time a show goes well and I feel absorbed and caught up in the music, and the audience listens, all of those moments when things line up in a beautiful way, are highlights for me.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I can't think of one. So I must have forgotten it already. Actually, high school probably.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I feel like I go through phases, like a painter would go through periods of making work with warmer and cooler colours, so it would be weird to have to pick one song. I'm particularly happy with how the song Be Good from my most recent album Looking-Glass Fire turned out though, so I guess I will pick it.
The fact that it never really resolves, and has chilling and comforting elements entwined is pretty representative of my music, I suppose.




Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask?
I can't think of a question, but I have a few new things I'd like to share...
A new video for my song My Beloved's Pulse created by Eric Chabrely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT182Z9Getw
And a new free/PWYC remix of my song Sea Lions created by Harnes Kretzer: https://claraengel.bandcamp.com/track/sea-lions-harnes-kretzer-remix

No comments:

Post a Comment