Thursday 4 December 2014

Dan McCarthy Q&A

Your name:
Dan McCarthy.

Where are you from?
Hagerstown, Maryland, USA.

How would you describe yourself?
I write and play free form, soulful, solo acoustic folk/rock. "dig deep within your soul, and search your heart. Like an ember of burning coal, this is where our journey starts." from my song Dream time. Last winter I was sitting up in my bedroom and inspiration struck. For the first time original songs began to take shape. We need to dig deep within our soul to find ourselves. Some of us have the ability to take a piece of that soul and deliver it in musical form. So as these songs began to take shape I began recording live takes with an inexpensive sound recorder meant for recording lectures. I made a profile on reverbnation.com and began uploading these new creations. Help Me To See (my first original song) is about a moment of self realization that I truly am very lucky indeed. Sometimes we take for granted what we have in our lives and sometimes we need help realizing just what we have, rather than the luxuries we want but don't really need.

Who are your main influences musically?
My main influences are many and varied but include Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Trey Anastasio, Jerry Garcia, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Nils Lofgren, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Edge, Buddy Guy, Pete Townsend, Emmylou Harris, and many others to numerous to name. Essentially artists that convey soul, depth, and meaning, so good it gives you the "chills".

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I simply hope to achieve recognition as an artist who delivers a piece of his soul through music.I play solo acoustic because it's such a simple delivery. It's literally just me, my guitar and a microphone. I love "real music", music I can feel in my bones, with real instruments filled with depth and meaning.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The highlight of my career was when I reached #7 in the U.S. and #9 globally on Reverbnation.com for Singer Songwriter. And also being featured on an upcoming acoustic compilation from Factory Fast Records due out on Amazon.com to be entitled "Dueces High Acoustic Arsenal". Also a huge highlight is the amazing support I get from EMR Records and all of my fellow artists on the roster. We are big on cross promotion where we share each others' music on Facebook and other social media. We are able to effectively promote ourselves by caring about each other as a force united. Also a highlight would be achieving airplay on internet radio stations including Lonely Oak radio, Museboat radio, Rockers Dive radio, Mixstream radio on Mixsposure. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I don't really have any moments I would like to forget, even in tough times we can learn from ourselves. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
If I had to pick just one song to represent my music it would be Fly Away (Crystal Clear Version) because it is about self empowerment and determination, the ability to overcome negativity and "Fly Away into a new day".

Where can we listen to it? 

Where can we find out more about your music?

No comments:

Post a Comment