Friday 20 February 2015

Ben Kramer Q&A

Your name:
Ben Kramer.

Where are you from?
Chicago, Il.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
I’m a 20-year-old singer/songwriter indie folk musician/college student, writing songs that aim to tell a story, be it a personal life experience of mine, someone else’s, or just a theme that strikes me. To me, it’s not so important that I’m being auto-biographically accurate, I’m much more interested in getting an emotion I’m feeling across.
Musically, I think I most accurately fit into the indie folk genre because of the instrumentation even though I’m interested in all kinds of music. My influences are pretty varied, but since I understand acoustic guitar and banjo, those are the instruments I normally use in my songs.

Who are your main influences musically?
The obvious, and probably the answers that are most identifiable in my music are bands like Fleet Foxes, Fleetwood Mac, Crosby Stills and Nash, Bear’s Den, etc. When I was younger, I probably would have listed artists like M83 and Passion Pit – more electronic stuff – and I definitely think those influences have found their way into my songs as well. Do I need to mention Bob Dylan?

What do you hope to achieve in music?
My main big picture goal with music is to be able to earn a living doing it. I’d love to be able to travel and tour for a living, playing my songs, going to new places, meeting people with cool accents. More short term though, I think recording and releasing an album is something I’ll be working on in the relatively near future. Being able to point to a cohesive body of work that’s my own will be a huge step forward for me.  

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
My music career is just beginning, but definitely releasing my first EP is the highlight for me, up to this point. I recorded and produced it myself, and by the time I was done, so much of the mystery that surrounded making music and getting it out there had disappeared. Obviously, whenever you’re doing something creative, you like to think you keep improving and changing over time, so there’re parts of that EP I’d love to redo. Just doing it though was a big deal to me, and started the ball rolling. (hate to be so cliché)

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Back when I was younger (not young enough in my opinion) and still learning how to sing and write, let’s just say posting stuff online was a little bit too easy for me. I’m pretty sure I’ve managed to erase most of that from history, but occasionally I’ll stumble on something I overlooked. I don’t really regret any of that though as during that time I learned so much about songwriting and recording.  

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
So far I’ve released two EP’s , and from the second, ‘All the Roses’, my favorite song so far is ‘Colder Tonight.’

Where can we listen to it?


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
Thanks for checking my music out, I’d love to hear from you on twitter! I’ve got a new single ‘Nothing More’ coming very soon, so if you’re interested, follow me on twitter to keep updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment