Friday 20 February 2015

Choking Crows Q&A

Your name:
Hello, I’m Riley Corvus.

Where are you from?:
I currently reside in Southern California.

Name of band: 
Choking Crows.

Who else is in your band? :
Myself and my guitar.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
The way I would describe myself would be a simple musician, there aren’t really a lot of extras in my music. I want people to focus really on my lyrics and create their own interpretation of the story being told. 

Who are your main influences musically?:
My main musical influences have to be Tegan and Sara and City and Colour. 
I grew up listening to them (Tegan and Sara) and seeing two girls kicking butt onstage given they’d started their career at such a young age and have grown into these brilliant singer/songwriters is something I’d love to one day achieve. 
City and Colour with Dallas’ melodious guitar playing and that beautiful voice I take a lot of musical influence from his guitar playing something about the folky vibes and those lyrics he puts his heart and soul into just give me shivers thinking about it and makes me hope to one day be a great musician as himself.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
What I hope to achieve in music is honestly make a career out of this craft that I’ve grown obsessively passionate about. I hope I never stop wanting to create and achieve the goals I’ve set forth for myself be it playing festivals I’ve seen my favourite artists perform at as well as going around the country performing my music for all who want to listen. Making music, performing it, and making the connections with my followers is what makes me happiest its like a natural high so I hope I can keep that “high” while working through those blocks and difficult times that come along with this endeavor.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The highlight of my career so far has been the learning experience, when you go from obsessively learning and covering your favourite songs to actually creating your own work and having it praised by strangers is something that I still cannot wrap my head around. Having a person who came across your music on tumblr or Twitter send you a message saying how much they like what you’re doing and how they connect to your creation is amazing. I really enjoy hearing/ reading their interpretations of my work, so the connection to people is what has been my highlight so far.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
A moment I want to forget would probably be one time at one of the first gigs I played and I could not for some reason remember the second verse to my song Dog Days, I remember stressing out and just sweating bullets while practising my set and I couldn’t get it right then to add to the stress of the moment I cut my finger open whilst playing said song and the entire time I kept thinking to myself “don’t mess up don’t mess up” while picking the strings and trying not to get blood on the guitar I was playing, talk about stress. So forgetting my lyrics is one of the moments I’d love to forget and never have to deal with again anytime it makes me feel horribly, horribly unprepared and just adds to the pressure of performing anyway.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
If I had to pick just one of my songs to represent my music it would have to be ‘Easier Said Than Done’ it was the result of one too many cups of coffee and one of my newest tracks and currently my favourite to play. The reason I picked this one to represent my music would be because I feel it’s the most comfortable I’ve felt with my voice on a track, though I try to avoid listening to myself on any type of recording this song I think shows my influences as well as my love for ambiguity in lyrics. It’s upbeat and catchy so you can bob your head to it while listening but it’s also that kind of song that you could listen to when you’re trying to get over someone, a happy sad song.

Where can we listen to it? 
You can listen to Easier Said Than Done on Reverbnation.



Where can we find out more about your music? 
Instagram: @chokingcrows
Twitter: @choking_crows
Facebook: facebook.com/chokingcrows
Official Website: chokingcrows.com
Reverbnation: reverbnation.com/chokingcrows
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/chokingcrows
Tumblr: chokingcrows.tumblr.com
Youtube: youtube.com/chokingcrows

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
I’m currently working on my record and am excited to head out once more and perform the new material, I hope you enjoyed the little teaser with “Easier Said Than Done”, check out the official website for more info on shows as well as sign up for the newsletter! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment