Monday 16 February 2015

Dirty Minutes Q&A

Your name:
Hey! My name is Sam Gerendasy.

Where are you from?
I'm from Portland, Oregon.

Name of band: 
Dirty Minutes.

Who else is in your band?For the most part I do the whole composing, arranging, and producing alone, but work with the talented Madi Arnot for live performances.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
My music is bi-product of accessible recording equipment coupled with an ongoing existential crisis. I'm never satisfied even from some of my favorite tunes. I eventually grow sick of a genre's format so my goal is to see if I can make music that is less predictable, more engaging, and still enjoyable. 

Who are your main influences musically?Philip K Dick. He defined science fiction as being a genre of novels where the protagonist is an idea. That really stuck with me. I try to write each of my songs as if they were a collection of characters playing out a scenario in a hypothetical world. 
I don't have many direct influences from other artists, but some of my favorite to listen to are Pretty Lights, Foals, Opeth, Flume, The Roots, Blackalicious, Mr. Bill, Phantogram, Marian Hill, Netsky, Herbie Hancock, Purity Ring, Santana, Justice, Guidance Counselor, Helio Sequence, and the Gorillaz. Definitely a lot of the Gorillaz. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?I have all these ideas for a song but have limited knowledge on how to get them recorded. Hopefully that'll stop being an obstacle at some point, but I feel like it's an obtainable goal ya know? One of the more difficult ways to grow as a musician would be creatively. There's always room to grow.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Just starting this project has been uplifting for me! I've been a drummer in bands for the last eight years. Now writing my own music without rules or a format feels natural. If I'm lucky there will actually be a noteworthy highlight.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I have a folder on my external drive called "old projects". It's full of everything I want to forget.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?Upcoming track off my debut called "Chew Z". 
I'm not even done with the mix at this point, so I'm going to link you to the 2nd best choice: Fireworks & American Noise. Yeah, this song may have been technically difficult for me to produce, but it was the easiest to write because the character of the song was so clear to me that it just kinda evolved on it's own. It only gets 2nd choice because it is so far from being an accessible song, it takes a second to really hear what it's saying.

Where can we listen to it? 
Where can we find out more about your music? 
I hate Twitter but I'm fairly active on it. If you don't mind an occasional 140 character rant or seeing me pick fights with celebrities, follow me at:
https://twitter.com/DirtyMinutes
Otherwise I have a tame-ass Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/dirtyminutesmusic
And of course, soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/dirtyminutes

No comments:

Post a Comment