Saturday 14 March 2015

This Fabulous Beast Q&A

Your name: 
Ryan Richardson.

Where are you from? 
Originally from Mesa, Arizona, but have been living in New York City since 2006.

Name of band: 
This Fabulous Beast.

Who else is in your band?
Phil Gold on drums and Alex Hornbake on bass.

How would you describe yourselves and your music? 
Fun. Upbeat. Unafraid of genre-jumping. Not complicated. 

Who are your main influences musically? 
The Beatles, Beach Boys, The Kinks, The Who, Roy Orbison, David Bowie, Buddy Holly, etc.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
Just to never run out of ideas and always keep doing this. To keep writing and creating. And to not be afraid to try new things. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
I've been playing in bands for 20 years now. I've had highs and lows, but mostly of my own accord. The key (to me) is to never expect anything to come of this, but continue doing it because you love it. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
I want to remember everything. The bad shows. The bad songs. The bad lyrics. I hope to never forget any of it.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
Maudlin Paupin' Man. Simple. Direct. Fun. It's the type of tune I'm best at. 

Where can we listen to it? 
http://thisfabulousbeast.bandcamp.com/track/maudlin-paupin-man


Where can we find out more about your music? 
You can find us on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp, Soundcloud. And on Twitter we're @thisfabbeast. Facebook is no longer band-friendly. The posts from your page only reach a small percentage of people that "like" your page now... so I prefer not to use it. 

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask? 
Whether it comes to simple songs or complex songs, the key is that you enjoy writing and playing them. You need to be proud of your material even if others think it's not cool or hip. Who cares. People's tastes in music change all the time. I just keep doing what I do and don't let others influence my decisions in any way, shape, or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment