Sunday 5 April 2015

Bobby Munro Q&A

Your name:
Bobby Munro.

Where are you from?
London, England.

Who else is in your band?
Paul Harvey (lead guitar, backing vocals), Michael Parrett (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Robbie Butcher (bass) and Will Udall (drums).

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
We're a real bunch of guys playing rock'n'roll and we hope the realness comes through in the music. The most important thing is the song above anything else. Melody is the key, then we try and find the right sound so that the right emotion comes through. As the singer, I definitely don't have a perfect, Brit school trained voice but I don't want that. I just want to be able to communicate in a real way and I think I do that.

Who are your main influences musically?
For me personally, most of those British bands from the Sixties. My early memories of life were sitting in the back of my Dad's London Black Cab in the mid-Nineties listening to The Rolling Stones and The Kinks. I loved the Britpop era as well and the American grunge scene but also everything from The Velvet Underground, Bowie and later The Brian Jonestown Massacre. I loved the way the punk singers communicated with their audience as well. So quite a few things, different flavours. It's all rock'n'roll to me. Paul loves three part harmonies in all the songs, influenced by The Beatles and The Beach Boys. Well, we all love that don't we? It sounds great if you can do that.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
To always be creative, write and record as many good quality songs as I can. I have many ideas in my head and sometimes they stay there for too long and I get frustrated. I'm on a mission to get it all out there in the open and I feel better about that. I'm very exited about what we are all coming out with at the moment. I'd like to think that once an album worth of recordings and videos are out there and we've got a few decent live shows behind us, then we might get asked to go on a tour by the autumn and be on a few festivals the year after. That would be nice.
I want to show people that we can write good songs and have personality in a world that seems a bit obsessed with bands having a good sound or a new sound. New sounds are great and interesting but I prefer proper songs above anything.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I think playing in front of a pretty large crowd at The Forum in Kentish Town with The Munroes and also supporting The Libertines at The Rhythm Factory, when they unexpectedly reformed on that night. It was great fun. It was probably the most fun I've ever had in my life. Everyone in the building just seemed to be so happy and that's the way it should be with music.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I don't think there is anything I'd like to forget. Things sometimes go wrong on stage but it's a learning experience that you have to go through. I quite like battling my way to the end of a song in that situation anyway. I just think 'There's a song here in this chaotic mess and I'm going try and make sure sure that the song wins in this battle against messed up technology. I hate most technology because I can't work most of it' 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
At the moment we have only put out 'Cocaine Radio' but I wouldn't say this song best represents us. It's a real fun tune with a little message in there having a pop at those repetitive radio shows, that are clearly told what to play by the labels and they all sound the same. We will be putting out tracks 'Cartoons', 'Medication' and 'Attitude' very soon in the near future which will best represent our music overall I think.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music? 

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?Here's a short bio from our bandcamp site.
The 'Bobby Munro' band was formed in a rock'n'roll, Brixton den above a dentist surgery in 2015.'The Dentist' famed for it's wild parties and live guerrilla gigs quickly became a 'hits' factory for Bobby Munro (The Munroes), Paul Harvey, Davey Fitzsimon and Robbie Butcher (The Sharks) Their first live show was at the 'Cherry Cola' club night on March 14th with Michael Parrett appearing on guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment