Wednesday 7 October 2015

Doug Stalnaker Q&A

Your name:
Doug Stalnaker.

Where are you from?
The United States. Born in Ohio, grew up in West Virginia. Now living in New Mexico.

How would you describe yourself and your music?
My genre is ‘psychedelic folk.’ I record my songs in my garage with the Audacity digital audio editor. I use acoustic and electric six-string guitars as well as an acoustic twelve-string guitar.

Who are your main influences musically?
John Lennon & Paul McCartney, Nick Drake, Donovan, Pete Ham, Kurt Cobain, and Ian Curtis.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I am a songwriter first and foremost. My goal is to have my songs performed and (hopefully!) recorded by others.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Being signed by my publisher (Voice Ranch Music, BMI) only a month after I began sending out my demos.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Nothing worth mentioning. I wouldn’t want to forget a negative moment in any event. It’s better to remember and learn from one’s mistakes, however big or small they may be.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
There are several – ‘Another Piece of You,’ ‘Youngstown Girl,’ and ‘She Is the Sun’ come to mind. If I have to choose one I would say ‘She Is Anyway.’ It’s a Psychedelic Folk love song that contains what I feel are some of my best lyrics and chord progressions. I used acoustic six and twelve string guitars to record it.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?
I have more songs uploaded on YouTube at the moment.

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?

My peculiar brand of psychedelic folk is just a small contribution to an indie music scene that is so very organic, vibrant and diverse. Social media/the internet are powerful tools that have enabled me to connect with songwriters and musicians I would have not discovered otherwise. Indie music is not an ‘either/or’ ‘you or me’ – it’s a communal effort and I believe that we need to support each other via Twitter, sharing links, and word-of mouth. The more music the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment