Wednesday 20 January 2016

Anahita Syke Q&A

Your name:
Anahita Skye.

Where are you from?
Los Angeles, CA.

Who else is in your band? 
I’m a solo artist but I play with a four-piece band. I met my drummer Sam Webster and bass player John Urban in college while we were all studying music. We’ve been playing as a band together for six years now. I also have an electric guitar player Dario Commuzzi who joined us last year.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
I would describe it as sultry, edgy and melancholic pop/rock. It’s interesting to hear first time show-goers perspective on describing our sound. I’ve received interesting comparisons, such as a “female Chris Isaak” or “modern Stevie Nicks".

Who are your main influences musically?
I’m a total 90s kid! My biggest influences growing up were alt rock bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam... and Pearl Jam is still my favorite band. To me, a powerful voice is the most important aspect of the bands or artists I’m drawn to. Vocalists such as Chris Cornell, Jeff Buckley and Jimmy Gnecco have all influenced me so much. Other artists I grew up listening to were The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Elvis and the Gipsy Kings. I’m also a huge pop music fan. I listen to a lot of top 40 because it’s mostly all hook-driven and as a songwriter, I’m always listening for a strong melody.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I want to be a career artist. I strive for longevity and desire to continually evolve and reinvent myself musically. I think it’s important to take risks. I want to look back at my work and be able to see the evolution. As humans, we are constantly growing and changing... I want my music to reflect that.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
A few months ago I played an opening set at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles for the Gipsy Kings' concert. My father would play their music all the time when I was growing up and their music influenced me so much. I just couldn’t believe I was there and how things had come full circle in that moment!

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
At some point in my career I came across one of those infamous “shark” producers. He said some pretty hurtful things to me, which I internalized it and took to heart much more that I wish I had. But it’s all part of the experience. You meet some really amazing people on the way, you keep those people close to you and let go of the others.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
You Are. This song is so honest. It’s one of those songs that just poured out after I sat down and picked up the guitar one night.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?
Twitter + Instagram: @anahitaskye

No comments:

Post a Comment