Saturday 9 March 2013

Chipfryer Q&A


Your name:
Musical name is Chipfryer, but nearly everyone knows me as Chippy.

Where are you from?
Originally from England, I've travelled a fair bit however, so that knocks the stripes off some tigers. 
  
Who else is in your band?
Ah, tough question that. Me and myself really. I did not intend it to be like this at all. I thought a few years ago that if I could show some ideas to people, they might be interested in joining the project. However it went a lot further than I anticipated, I'm not sad about that really, though the path is difficult, as being you own boss always is.

How would you describe yourselves?
Quite nuts really, (laugh). You have to be if you are solo writing to some degree, depending on the arguably difficult nature of the composition at times. It really is a mental frame set in which you are either in, or you are nowhere near. 
Seriously though, just having fun doing what I enjoy doing. There's nothing like getting feedback, good or bad, I've been fortunate in both. It's a tough world out there, so getting anything is a wondrous surprise.

Who are your main influences musically?
This will surprise a lot of people. My compositions have been heard by a fare few people now. Most, just about all have said that the music sounds like Genesis and/or Peter Gabriel. While I think both are musical Gods, I am in fact inspired by a great deal of music, it just comes out that way when I have an idea for something. I listen to about 20 bands everyday on various places. Each time I do, I hear something new and it goes on from there. I think the reason I sound like them is that they weren't tied to any specific role model in later years, and incorporated so many styles and feelings. This is exactly what I want to do too, so I suppose this is main reason why.....

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Tough again that. Well I think my stuff is good enough frankly, good enough for a cult crowd in any case, but not for popular mainstream, unless that musical widget in my head says, 'let's turn another way'. I like a lot of pop music too, so you never know, but back to your question. Do something with it, I have a good mentor with me who is musically endowed with awards, and I owe her a lot in terms of support, it would be nice to repay that in any way that I could, so that she will say again, 'Told you'. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I think that would depend on how far you are up any ladder I suppose. I have so many GOOD times in Music, I could hardly pull one from a basket, I enjoy playing so much, it fills me up. Where I was born, I did so much in terms of getting our bands off the ground, this continued over the years. I could pull crowds with techniques and get a good response from my crowd.
* I think, and since this is where I am right now. Getting my online fanbase toward healthy numbers, and getting that much needed feedback, so I know what to do next with it all. I read every single message, and reply to everything anyone sends in from various growing places. Yes I would say that as regards this question, fan base. Thank you.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Hmmmm Ok good questions..... Getting my old band’s CD presented properly. It was a horrible recording, our singer was impatient and wanted it on the jukebox in our local pub. Needless to say, when we heard the quality compared to mainstream artists, I wanted a hole to open up and jump into it.

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
There are two frankly. Faith and Endless, they are both tied, and about specifically the same thing. Travel and meeting people. Faith is our favourite, but Endless says it all. Travel from here to there, there to everywhere, it simply hasn't stopped and shows no sign of doing so, which is good. Endless in short describes a person’s bumping into strangers, platforms, ships, boats, planes and so on. The end lyric, 'Is that what you wanted', says it all really - Endless.

Where can we listen to it?
Right now my site: http://chipfryer.com is being overhauled, but on Reverbnation you can play it there: http://www.reverbnation.com/chipfryer



Where can we find out more about your music?
I'm about to update my Bio with a more credible and in depth version. I'll post this on my official site when I have that up and running, hopefully in next few weeks.

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
Not really, though I am an incredibly good cook, so I'm told, and many have said I've missed various vocations, but when all is said and done. It comes back to where it always lay - Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment