Sunday 17 March 2013

My Great Affliction Q&A


Your name: 
Ste Gough.

Where are you from?
The Black Country, England.

Name of band:
My Great Affliction.

Who else is in your band?
Daz Wright on the bass and Craig Horobin on drums.

How would you describe yourselves?
Imagine Led Zeppelin, Motorhead and Queens Of The Stone Age had a three-way love child and you might be somewhere close to how we sound. 

Who are your main influences musically?
Led Zeppelin are my biggest influence, and according to other people, it shows in my playing. Other notable bands that inspire me to play, amongst others, are Metallica, Stone Sour, Black Stone Cherry. Daz likes a bit of Black Sabbath and I know Craig is a bit partial to Motley Crue, like most drummers, he wants to be Tommy Lee!

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I'd like to one day be able to pay my bills by playing, touring the world whilst making enough money to keep going is the dream, if I can afford to knock out an album or two along the way then I'd be happy.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I'd have to say the last gig where we headlined the O2 Academy 3 in Birmingham alongside our good friends The Whiskey Syndicate. a great turnout and a great response from the crowd. Although, I'm sure Craig and Daz would say playing Download in 2010, unfortunately I wasn't in the band at that point! Next year maybe... ;)

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I don't really want to forget any of it to be fair. Like most of life, you learn from your mistakes and you become a bigger stronger person from them, to forget any of our mistakes would be like we didn't learn anything, and I think thats important to take away from any situation, good or bad.

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
We recently wrote a song called "Good times to come". We're set to record it next month so it'll be available soon. The reason I'd say it represents the music well is it has a bit of everything. Guitar driven rocking music with elements of the unexpected musically, whilst lyrically it deals with the agony of heartbreak, the questioning of ones self and ones judgement following a breakup, and also towards looking to the future and not missing out on the present by worrying too much about the past. I'd say where the band is right now, it totally encapsulates the attitude of the members.

Where can we listen to it?
Unfortunately, since I've been with the band only a short time, the only recordings are from previous incarnations (the band was a five-piece until six months ago when I stepped in and it became a three-piece). The sound from then to now is massively different, but we do play some of the songs available on the music page of our website. There are a couple of videos also available from a couple of our live shows on the bands website also : www.mygreataffliction.com 

Where can we find out more about your music?
Twitter: @MGAband
and there are a number of other sites available from these that we are part of, however the rest might not get updated as often as these three!

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
If you get chance, come check us out, say hi, have a laugh and a joke with us. You'll know us, we'll be the ones at the bar! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment