Wednesday 3 April 2013

Bree Q&A


Your name:
Bree.

Where are you from?
I grew up outside of Eugene, Oregon, in a small town called Harrisburg.

Who else is in your band?
Mayrk McNeely: Upright Bass/Vocals.
David J Castello: Drums/Percussion.
Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

How would you describe yourself?
My personal kick ass slice of the rock-n-roll pie. Funny thing is that I don’t think people today really know what 21st century rock-n-roll is about. Many think it’s some retro thing, which I certainly am not – even with an upright bassist. When I walk on stage with my Gibson Flying V and plug into a modified Vintage Marshall they start to get the picture. 

Who are your main influences musically?
I have dozens of influences in every decade going back to the 1950s. If I had to choose ten off of the top of my head right now I’d say: Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Patsy Cline, The Beatles, The Who, Humble Pie, Bowie (with Ronson), The Ramones, The Clash,  and Green Day. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Rock the planet and get people off their ass. I’m serious. Not trying to be cute. So much sounds so formulated and safe. On stage and in the studio it’s just the three of us. Keeps it real. Keeps it honest. And that’s what true rock-n-roll is all about.  

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Two things. Winning the RAW Nashville Musician Of The Year last November. I believe Nashville has the best up and coming rock scene in the USA today and it was quite an honor.  Also, my band and I are privileged to be recording with legendary produce Bob Ezrin’s exclusive engineer Justin Cortelyou. Bob Ezrin has a history of his engineers becoming great producers going back to Jack Douglas with Aerosmith. Justin is not only brilliant in the studio, but he is an absolute joy to work with. We recorded our upcoming CD over the last year in between Bob Ezrin’s projects when Justin had a couple of days off. I was sad when we recorded our last song “You Can’t Take The Heart Out Of Me’ this January. We were having so much fun. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
My life from the age of six to 21. I grew up in a religious cult and my mother died from swallowing a needle when I was six and my life spiralled downhill from there (I wrote “I Hope You’re Smiling” about her). My father, the cult’s leader, threw me out on the street for having a boyfriend when I was 17.  I bounced around the States for a bit, was even homeless at times, until I met my manager and drummer David on my 21st birthday on July 22, 2010 in Palm Springs, California. We shared the same vision about music and my life quickly turned around.  Then again, I don’t think I’d be able to write the songs I do today unless I’d been through that hell. That may or may not be true, but believing it has kept me sane. 

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
That’s way too hard. It’s like asking a mother which is her favorite child. 

Where can we listen to your music?
Got to Facebook.com/BreeMusic There are lots of photos and four or five songs on there. 



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
Yes, I thank the Universe every day for David and Mayrk. I’m fairly prone to nasty nightmares, but when I wake up I still have my band.

No comments:

Post a Comment