Sunday 16 June 2013

Paul Colilli Q&A

Your name:
Paul Colilli.

Where are you from? 
I was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. But I reside in Sudbury, Ontario (circa 3.5 hours north of Toronto).

How would you describe yourself?
Psycho-baroque, metaphysical ghost music with a beat.

Who are your main influences musically?
The music produced in 1966-67-68 by the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, the Floyd, the Who, the Velvets and the Beach Boys. I must say that I had a strong passion for the early British prog rock of King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Soft Machine and the Nice.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Simply to have the courage and focus to put out albums on a steady basis. And by that I mean one to two albums a year. The sense of satisfaction and accomplishment with my music comes from having transformed it into an artistic product that others can listen to. That is, of not having left it to wallow in my computer or in my head. And of course if people were then to like my music and buy it, that would make me immensely happy.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Recording my two solo albums “Psycho Sacred Music” (2011) and “Hieroglyphs of the Soul,” which will be released on June 11, 2013. As well, there is the forthcoming Saucer73 (a Simply Saucer spinoff) album “Who Can See the Shadow of the Sun?”
I was a founding member of Simply Saucer, the Neuro Angels and did demos as a solo artist under the name “Orpheus in the Underground.” But I never recorded music that was released in anyone of these cases. And I have always felt that I betrayed myself for not having brought the various projects to their final released format. In a very clear sense, the recordings I mentioned redeem what I misplaced in my own cultural memory.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Well, there is no specific moment other than the decision to not be involved in music for a very long period of time.

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
“The Soft Ethic” which is a track from “Hieroglyphs of the Soul.” Why?  Because it brings together different sonic textures and intensities to create a wall of music.

Where can we listen to it?
You can choose from the following: 



Where can we find out more about your music?
Besides the above there are also:
My website (paulcolilli.com) will go live around the time of the new album release.

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
So I am a solo artist, and on my solo albums I play various guitars and various keyboards. The fellow who records me, Brent Wohlberg, looks after the percussion. When I play with Saucer73 I just play keyboards.
While my music is heavily influenced by the artists I mention above, my lyrics have a different genealogy. My words tend to reflect the philosophy and theology in which I’m immersed precisely because my day job is that of being a university professor. I try to reflect these interests in my lyrics but without the academic lingo. I try to use language that is much simpler and transparent. In this sense, my debt and gratitude goes out to Bob Dylan who lead the way for a kind a music that was popular, but with lyrics that transcended anything that pop music had done before him.

No comments:

Post a Comment