Friday 4 October 2013

Lily Q&A

Your name: 
Lily.

Where are you from? 
I was born in England but have been living in New York for the past 6 years.

How would you describe yourselves? 
I'm an old soul and I think my music follows in that vein too, with quite a retro feel to it. I don't think I really fit into one genre, one song is more country, one is a piano ballad, one has much more pop in it, it changes a little from song to song. But what's always there are the layerings of harmonies and backing vocals in the style of 50s girl groups, which gives my music a cheerful,optimistic feeling that hopefully people enjoy. All the songs on my album were inspired by events in my life or the lives of my friends and loved ones, so hopefully people can relate to the songs and they help cheer people up when they need it!

Who are your main influences musically? 
My tastes are very diverse, so I have a very wide range of musical influences. I love listening to  a lot of 50s girl groups and old Motown music and got a lot of inspiration from groups like The Temptations, The Supremes, Boyz 2 Men with regards to harmonies. I was inspired a lot by The Beetles in my arrangements and in the instruments I used. But I also love the new folk scene that’s about at the moment so there’s also a lot of that in there too.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
A life-long career! 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
It's hard to say, I feel like everything that happens is such a surprise and there's a new high every day! 

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
Forgetting the words to my own songs! I have no idea why that happens to me, why my mind just goes blank, but it does.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
It's hard to pick one song to represent them all, as all my songs have a different feel and inspiration, but if I have to pick just one, I would say it would be Life Goes On, the first single from my album Life Of Lily.

Where can we listen to it? 
You can find the song Life Goes On at http://thisismusicbylily.bandcamp.com/track/life-goes-on


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask? 
My album Life Of Lily is being launched on November 5th, 2013. We'll be having a launch party at The Red Lion in New York (details are on all my links) so come on down and have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment